Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Doberman Question ( i tihnk my friend is trying to tell me something xD )

So my friend frequently checks petfinder.com because she is either tryign to help someone find a dog or just to look. She knows that i have always wanted a doberman, somethign about them i just love. and she sent me this link http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21179760 -something about her eyes kinda just sucked me in :p
I think she is trying to tell me something because she said she has seen this one up for at least a week. I have been around Dobby's but never owned. I am half tempted to go monday but i was just curious for those on here with dobbies, what can you tell me about them? now i know this one is a mix but everything i have read, says they need good excersice, socialization, they like to be with their owners, energetic, wathful, fearless and i read somewhere that you have to show your the leader of the pack, i just was wondering how truthful some if not all of this information is, and also where they would rank as of, are they more of a single person dog, non family dog, or can they make good family dogs. All the ones i have ever been around where with single people ( non family, no bf's or gf's) thanks all :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Re: Doberman Question ( i tihnk my friend is trying to tell me something xD )

She looks purebred to me. The floppy ears might throw some people off, sort of changes the shape of the face, but she looks total dobie.
I've never owned dobies, but I've been around them and they have all been really good dogs. But, people stress the fact that they must be socialized at a young age. Well, any dog must be really...

But here's a Dobie forum with tons of doberman owners there!
Doberman Forum

Look around at some of the posts and see what experiences people have had and or/create an account and get talking to the people on there.
Hopefully the doberman peeps on here will post.
Good luck! She looks so cute!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts

I see what you mean about her eyes.
My friend and her mom breeds and raises Dobies, she's very knowledgeable and honestly, I was scared ****less when I first went to her house just because of how intimidating they look, but they were big babies :)

Her name is Whitney Dillaman and her email is
[email protected]

I hope she can help with whatever questions you have!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts

I have owned five purebred Dobermans and they were family dogs. They were protective of my children yet very velcro to me. They are wonderful dogs but have some health issues as other breeds do that you need to be aware of. This is very important IMO. To me they are wonderful dogs! :)

My avatar is my latest Dobie/Rott/GSD? mix. She is the first Dobie mix I have ever had. But she is still a great dog with some of the Dobie traits. She has two Schnauzer/Poodle brothers and a stray cat. She loves them all. She is also very fond of people...........but yet I know she can be very protective if need be. I also love the easy maintenance coat in the purebreds. :) Be sure to ask the vet about the proper dose of Fish oil and vitamin E for the coat and skin. Skin issues, bloat, and heart health are very important in this breed. There may be more health issues I am not aware of since the last time I owned a good purebred.......like 30 years ago. :)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

I've never owned one, but I've met several. I agree they are very special dogs and I'd love to own one someday. I think you should go meet her. :)

They are definitely single person dogs, in that there is usually one person that they belong to and everyone else is a little lower down on the totem pole, but that's not to say they are unsafe in a family. I would be very wary of putting a Dobe in an inexperienced family with young children, but if you have older, dog savvy kids and a support network of knowledgeable people around you I don't have qualms.

I've never felt in danger when I've seen them in public. One of my favorite memories is sitting ringside at a dog show next to a Doberman. That dog looked straight into my eyes and it felt like she was looking into my soul. It was a profoundly eerie experience.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I agree that you should at least go meet her. I owned a Dobie X GSD for 17 years!
1. My dog was not socialized, but he was OK with people. Never unfriendly.
2. He was not dog aggressive, but could be aggressive with dogs, if he didn't know them. Never got into a real fight.
3. I've help people train their Dobies, and each one was well-socialized and loved people and other animals. (Dobies seem to like cats ?)
4. They are very intelligent, but more energetic/hyper than Rotties, which I believe they were bred from ?
5. My dog would free feed easily and stayed lean.
6. Dobies graze.... Mine would go an munch on some grass all day long. When I mowed, I made sure that I left some that he liked (Chicken grass as opposed to crab grass)

Recommendation: Adopt, socialize lots, train as much as possible, save money for arthritis in later years. After she settles down with you, keep her on the lean side.
Give her access to grass :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts