Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out of town for a week and came home yesterday to find what I can basically describe as a horrific situation. The pet sitter I had hired had needed to leave earlier in the morning (about 7) and so I hired a neighbor to look after my guide dog in training and my other two dogs for the remainder of the time that I would be gone (roughly 10 hours, I got back at 5:30). It turns out the neighbor was extremely negligent and sent another member of her family to let my dogs out to potty. However, that other family member was only aware of my two dogs and not the guide in training, so the guide was trapped in his cage for 11 hours with no break while his friends were released and free (obvious stressor right there). I got home, and my puppy had relieved multiple times in his cage, was cowering in the corner from that, was covered in his own feces, and had been standing for who know's how many hours. He had to have a bath at 5:30 PM outside in the 50 degree weather because he's too big to fit in the tub, so he was pretty frozen even though I wrapped him in blankets and dried him while we were standing in as much sun as possible. Today he is a little shaky, extremely tired, his nose is running, and he is not eating and seems to be a bit dehydrated. This is all understandable, but he has begun sporadic panting in the last hour or so. My plan is to wait until tomorrow considering today is Easter sunday and the vet is closed, but I was wondering if there was anyone here who could tell me how to make him more comfortable today or if he even needs the vet? I think he's a bit under the weather today from the stress and the bath, though he seems better now than he was yesterday. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
As was said, dogs don't get "colds" as such.

A nasal discharge is NOT a benign sign in a dog ( a cough would actually be much less worrisome). if he still has the nasal discharge today, take him to the vet.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Agree with the above. Nasal discharge could be most anything from allergies to disease. My newest rescue dog started with a runny nose for about 4 days and then a cough began ... and it has turned into kennel cough/canine influenza.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Odd... when I brought my sneezing dog to the vet she said it was probably just a cold o_O My dog's only symptom was sneezing, however, and it was otherwise normal, so who knows...

You should probably figure out where the nearest emergency vet is in case of illness after hours/weekends/holidays in the future. What did the vet say today?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone so much for all of the help! I actually just got way too worried about 20 minutes after posting this and since it was Easter Sunday and all I just grabbed a blanket and took him to the emergency ER. They said there's a chance he has Meningitis since all of that stiffness was most in his neck, and he was running a fever of 104.3 with a white blood cell count double from what it should be. So now he's on 2 antibiotics, a pain reliever, and bed rest for two weeks with my checkup with the vet by phone in two days. Hopefully it's not actually Meningitis, because ever since the vet gave him a shot that had the dog version of ibuprofen, he's gotten WAAAYYYY better. He even looked at me and thumped his tail!!!! :rockon:

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Great to hear you took him to the ER! Hope he is on the mend and he is feeling somewhat better. :)

Keep us posted please on his progress.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Poor baby, I hope he gets better soon. Make sure he stays hydrated. Did your vet discuss the dehydration at all?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts