Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what to do, pardon my ignorance though. I've never found a flea on a dog of mine before and they've always skeeved me out (or, the thought of them did).

I was holding Abbie on her back in my lap and I saw a little something crawling around through her belly hair, which is pretty thin/sparse. It took me a minute to be able to grab it, it was tough to get a hold of. I think it was a flea, but I'm not sure, because again, it was hard to tell.

I took a flea comb and did a couple combs of her back/rear end and didn't come up with anything. I checked her armpits and undercarriage and couldn't find anything else.

I put her Advantix on her, she was due the 26th anyways. But now I'm freaked out. What should I do? Just lay low until I see if anymore pop up? Any tips for figuring out decisively if she has them? Could she just have picked one up somewhere (maybe puppy class Monday night?) and that will be it?

GAHHHH! Fleas have always been my worst nightmare, now I'm freaked out.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
In my experience, flea combs are rather useless unless the dog has a really bad infestation. You can search google images for "flea" to see if what you saw was actually a flea. They have sort of a unique shape. If it was indeed a flea, one flea isn't going to do much harm. If you treated her, it's probably fine now.

Kit's pretty susceptible to fleas and it's not uncommon for me to find one or two around the time when she should be treated. She's white, so they're really obvious. No biggie - just do the treatment. If things get too bad, the oral flea meds are great at killing all adult fleas, so you get a clean slate.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did google images....I think it was probably a flea. Gag. I hope that it was just one that hopped on somewhere lol, and no more issues...

I'll just keep my eyes out for any more over the next few days? I was thinking of picking up a natural spray/treatment if anyone knows of any that are easily accessible. I mean, I don't wanna start treating the carpets or flea dipping her yet, right?

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Well you can treat your house and yard..... If you do not want to use chemicals, you can use diamaticious earth. You need to use Food Grade.

But seriously.... I guess it varies by location but fleas are a part of life with dogs.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'm new to the "flea club" lol. Like I said, never found one before.

I'm just paranoid about an infestation in my apartment...

·
Registered
583 Posts
flea's jump! if you see any tiny black dots, it looks like black sand, drop some water on it on a piece of white paper and if it goes red then its flea dirt.
the only way to kill flea's is to drown them hence washing dog bedding at 60.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts