Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nash is getting increasingly frantic about me leaving.

Yesterday at my parents, I put him outside on the tie out for a minute so he could go potty. I stepped inside quick to check on some food. I was literally inside for 2 minutes. He had a complete meltdown. He was screaming, jumping against the tie out, drooling heavily and was frantic.

Today when I went to leave for work Julie was still home, so I just shut the dogs into the bedroom with her. Nash flipped out, got the door open before Julie got to him, jumped the X-tall baby gate to get to the stairs and came flying downstairs after me. Julie came and got him and brought him back up and stood by the door so he couldn't do that again.

He apparently has been whining, barking and screaming when I am not home. Some days it sounds like he is fine, others he flips out. Today Julie called me, "Guess who greeted me at the front door when I just got home." Nash had broken out of his crate, jumped the baby gate and was running around the house. Thankfully he only destroyed some minor things (a couple of dog toys and dish towels).

When Julie had to leave again I told her to put him in his crate and clip it together so he couldn't get it apart (its a wire crate). I came home to find the plastic tray on the bottom half pushed out and partially chewed, wires bent on the crate, he had moved his crate and gotten a hold of his leash, which he shredded. He scraped up his face some and his muzzle is a little swollen in one part.

Since day 1 I have been ignoring him for about 15 minutes before leaving. I do not do the same routine before I leave. Sometimes I put my shoes on and just sit down, sometimes I pick up my keys and then go back to what I was doing. I always give him a stuffed kong when I am leaving, unless Julie is home with him. He eagerly flies into his crate for the kong. I have been feeding him in his crate. I ignore him for 15 minutes after I get home. I have not once let him out of his crate for whining or making any noise. I practice leaving the room and coming back in when he is quiet almost every day.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a more secure crate? Are the plastic airline type ones sturdier than the wire midwest crates? At work we have vari kennels, and he seems to quiet down quickly in those. They are the plastic crates. Are those generally sturdy?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah, I think you're right. Abby acts like that when we leave, and that's what the vet said it was.

Medicine really helps. She's doing better. Xanex for doggies...worked for us. May work for you, too.
:)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We already have one dog on prozac for anxiety issues (although not separation anxiety). It would kinda suck to be medicating another. I think we are going to work on more behavioral mod stuff and hope this isn't true separation anxiety and just a temporary result of switching homes so much.

Anyone have any sturdy crate recommendations?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Marge was very antsy when she was not with me when we first got her, too. (Still does it to some degree)

It seems like you've taken the reins on the training so he probably looks to you for guidance over anyone else, no offense to Julie (I am sure she loves him just as much :) ) and that's why he freaks when you're not there.

Look into the Bach Flower Remedies.. maybe they can help you while you figure him out a little more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts