Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Lacey! :eek:

I have this really horrible itchy nose and have been miserable since I brought her home. It get's worse when I vacuum (I think it's kicking up the dander and such)

I've been to the doctor before due to allergies (usually summer allergies with all the crap that floats in the air) and nothing seems to help. Flonase, Claritin (the Rx stuff) Allegra, you name it, they've put me on it with no avail.

Has anyone else suffered from this horrible itchy feeling? Would an allergy test and maybe shots help? I'm not getting rid of the dog for anything, I've waited so long for a GSD and it's not even a thought, I'll stay miserable first since it's just me in the house that is suffering.

But if anyone has some words of wisdom as to what might help or something I can suggest to my Dr. (who's a physician assistant, not an actual doctor and is up to suggestion) then I'd really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Itchy

:D

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I have found it just takes a little time. I am allergic to dogs and cats but I get used to the animals I am living with after a little while. If I go to someone else's house their dog or cat may make my eyes turn red and water horribly, my nose runny and itchy (not all dogs have this affect) . . . and then my dogs now do nothing. My mom gets allergy shots, they have helped a lot with her allergies to their cat. I may look into them in the future if mine continue to get worse. Otherwise, keep lacey clean, brushed and her skin in good condition (try to keep her from having dry skin). Vaccume a lot, don't let her lick you. Also, since she was in such bad conditions it may get better as her health (and skin) get better.

Oh, and having an air purifier has helped. We run it in the bedroom and I do notice a difference when we turn it off.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like one of those Ionbreeze things? I was considering one of them.

It maybe just because she's got so much dander right now, but the saliva doesn't bother me from her (it was always Smokey's licking that turns my skin red and bumpy)

Maybe a trip to the groomer for her, and the Dr for me would help.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I have an ionicpro or something like that. It really does help. I read something (a study) somewhere that showed that if people with allergies got a long break from their allergens it actually helped reduce the problem. So, if you can keep her out of your bedroom and then run an air purifier in there it might help. Giving her fish oil may help if you don't already, as it will help her skin.

·
Registered
823 Posts
My sister is allergic to all kinds of things, from cats to cockroaches, and she was miserable for a while (we have 2 dogs, a long haired cat, a bunny, and various other animals that I bring home). She now gets allergy shots and is tons better. She had to get tested and have shots weekly for a while, then every 2 weeks, and now she is down to once a month. Good luck, I cannot imagine what I would do if I were allergic to my babies.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Have the ducts cleaned in the house. Make sure you're using really good filters. The Allegra, was it the regular or the Allegra-D?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Allegra-D...I can't even remember half the stuff they put me on, singulair was one of them too though. I feel like a pharmaceutical nightmare.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm a little allergic to my dog and really allergic to my cats.

I second the air purifier. I would do a bit of research into the most effective ones -- some don't do much. I started with a BlueAir (and most recently got a ridiculously high end one when I started reading too much about indoor air pollution). They're not cheap, but they do help (and in my case were recommended by a doctor friend who also has allergies). You could also look into special filters for your heating/AC system.

If prescription pills/Flonase don't help, I would look into allergy shots. (I take generic Zyrtec every day and absolutely still notice if I haven't taken it yet. Have you tried Zyrtec?)

I also: keep my pets out of my bedroom, change into clean clothes often (and as needed if they get furry!), vacuum and dust and brush the pets, wash my hands constantly -- little stuff that becomes a way of life and I don't notice anymore.

Allergies can make you so miserable, I know. Is your breathing still okay?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with what others have already suggested and, although this may seem drastic, recommend getting rid of the carpet in your house. Carpet holds dust and allergens and contributes to the allergy problem. I tore out all my carpet, except in the bedrooms, and put down laminate flooring. It helped me IMMENSELY. You can put down area rugs that are washable. (And I might add that it is amusing to watch the animals slide around on the laminate floor when they run in the house :D)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OH wish I could ditch this carpet, but alas...I live in military housing, and the carpet is not mine to remove. Otherwise, I'd have hardwood floors as far as they eye can see.

As for the breathing, no it's not. Hence why I'm up at 11 PM because every time I lay down I can't breath, keep coughing and just plain miserable. I threw my pillows away on my bed for hypoallergenic ones thinking it might have been what I washed them in...nope.
My doctor actually thought I had asthma and I had an inhaler (which didn't do anything but make me hyper and shaky) but I also have an Epi-pen in case something sets it off bad enough where I can't breath at all.

God, I sound like a hypochondriac...lol. Other than the itching dying nose and coughing and wheezing...I feel fine!

·
Registered
35 Posts
While vacuuming and dusting can kick up some of the dust, you get better results if you do these chores on a regular basis. Have you tried vacumming as often as once a week? (And does your vacuum cleaner have a HEPA filter?)

As far as dusting, I use the Swiffer wands that use static to soak up the dust; one of the replaceable fluffies lasts me a week. I dust a different room every day or two. If you haven't done these things often, you might want to wear one of those cheap filter masks that go over your nose and mouth to keep all the junk in the air from getting into your system. But in my experience, once you've got it under control, you don't have near as much a problem spreading the dust back into the air.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol, once a week? Try like I vacuum every other day...I'm a continuous cleaner. I also dust with one of those static dusters...my vacuum has one as an attachment and it charges it. I have 3 kids and am a stay at home mom...so my house has no reason to be dirty at all.

I also shampoo my carpet once a week to get the rest of the dirt/dander out, with the stuff made for pets that goes in it.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Lol. I have a busy house. Between the dogs and kids I feel like the maid off The Jetsons. Also, we get home inspections, so things have to stay clean (not saying my house isn't cluttered, because, wow is it ever!) I also don't allow anyone to wear shoes in my house to try to keep some of the tracked dirt out...but seems like that's a futile effort.

Speaking of hair and such though, check this out. One of the soldiers my husband works with bought some kind of dog shampoo that's supposed to help with shedding with the undercoat? He bought it by accident and used it on his Beagle...and said his Beagle is "blowing" coat like a Husky...

Anyone have an idea of what this might be and if it's actually useful.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If a product such as Allegra-D doesn't help, I'd go to the allergy shots. Too bad you can't have the carpet taken up as that would really help. Have you asked? Also ask if they've ever cleaned the ducts in the house.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Get a vacuum that has a HEPA filter on it such as a Dyson (bagless) or Panasonic (bagged) Be sure you ONLY empty the vacuum OUTSIDE and get a top grade air filter from Lowes (the pleated ones that take out dust mites, allegens and viruses).

VACUUM the DOG, it contains the hair to the vacuum and keeps the dander down, and many dogs enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any update? did the air purifier help? After a week of having a puppy (gsd) I think I am allergic too, I break out with rashes, and itch all the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts