Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my first GS puppy soon, and I think I finally found a few upcoming possibilities for the litter I get my puppy from! I would like a few more opinions on the breeder though, just in case I'm missing something. Give me all of the advice you've got!

http://www.gsdpups4sale.com/site/

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
FYI- GS is short for Giant Schnauzer and GSD is short for German Shepherd Dog

I cannot find their dog "Hoss" in the OFA database I would ask is they have done PenHip testing on him.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I'll see if I can get a couple GSD people in here to give you an honest evaluation of the dogs. I'd look up all sires/dams in hte ofa data base to see if there's health testing info on them (very important).

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Just on first impressions, I'm gonna say that any website with "4sale" in the name seems pretty shady. But who knows. . .maybe they just got stuck with a crummy url.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
On first glance, I wouldn't recommend them. You can always contact them, of course, but what health testing do they do? Anything beyond hips and elbows? Do they trial their dogs in anything, or work them in real life situations?

What line of GSD are you looking for? Euro show, American show, Czech, DDR, West German working?

What do you plan on doing with this dog? Do you know about the health issues that occur in the breed (beyond hip and elbow dysplasia)? Are you familiar with degenerative myelopathy, mesenteric torsion, bloat, pannus, or perianal fistulas? What about spondylosis? Megaesophagus?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Looking at one of their litters, both the dam and the sire only had OFA prelims...which means they were either both under two or the breeder didn't feel like actually getting their OFA results. Either one is a red flag.

I'd proceed with caution or look elsewhere, personally. Not a big fan of breeders who rush things.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I don't like that they are breeding on just Prelims. I HAVE known cases where a dog will pass OFAs on Prelims and then go on to produce progeny that do not pass on elbows or hips. It is true that there is no guarantee and even dogs that do OFA Fair/Good/Excellent produce dysplastic pups but I would like the odds stacked in my favor. Looking at the pedigrees of their breeding dogs, I am less than impressed by the hip/elbow health within the lines and see no reason for the breeding dogs to not have been officially health tested.

This breeder owns some lovely dogs from well known West German show lines, and aesthetically they are quite nice. However, I find their breeding goals to be fairly generic (good temperament, health, and structure, etc.) and would be extremely interested in having an in depth discussion with them, especially regarding how they go about evaluating such temperament, health, and structure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts