Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my puppy on Sunday, he weighs 3 pounds 9 oz, and he really hasn't been eating much food, which I think is ok because he's still eating and he's really small still. The breeder had him on kibble (gross) so I've been giving him that and other random good foods like string cheese (treats) parmesan cheese (sprinkled on his kibble to make it tasty) plain yogurt, and peanut butter are the main goodies, the other foods hes tried are hot dogs, pumpkin, honey, dog treats, I've only given him a teensy taste of.

So anyways, tonight for dinner, I decided I'd boil him some chicken and I mixed it with parmesan cheese, and plain yogurt, and he loved it! Scarfed it down, so I gave him just a tiny bit more, and it was the most he's eaten since he's been home, and now hes hiding (when normally he's out) and being lazier than usual.
Whats the worst that can happen with an upset tummy? Anything I need to see a vet for? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
At most you might see him throw up or have some runny poop for a while.. None of those ingredients should cause him too much trouble, though many dogs have problems with dairy products, it gives some of them the runs.

So, are you planning to feed him home cooked food? If so there are some pretty good stickies on RAW and home cooked feeding on this forum, you'll want to read through them and research, research, research to make sure your feeding him nutritionally balanced meals that meet his needs, especially while he's still growing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Im planning on feeding raw. Im going to start real soon. I just got him on Sunday and wanted to take him to the vet to make sure he's healthy. I also wanted to wait until he got settled in a little bit more, and until we got settled in a little bit also. He's much more confident and independent now than when we got him two days ago. He's also chewing on all of his toys, so I think I can start soon.

Thanks, Ill keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
296 Posts
worst case scenarios?
pancreatitis, gastric torsion, bloat, death, obstruction, impaction....
dont feed your dog cheese. maybe a tiny bit every once in a while as a treat, but in all honesty that cheese is way worse than feeding the average kibble.

·
Registered
63 Posts
he probably is just stuffed! specially if it was good stuff ;) sounds like it was. he should be fine just make sure he goes out to potty soon ;)

oh my dogs tend to over eat when it comes to holidays, thanksgiving and christmas come to mind ;). ( yes, with ALL the trimmings). they over eat and become little rolly pollies( little butterballs) for a few hours, go outside run it off and feel fine, no worries, and they have survived ;). when it comes to eating dogs can not and will NOT, IMHO eat themselves to death! they know when they get full, with my dogs, Cinni will spit food out when she is full, just like a kid, now, i am NOT saying that this is true for all dogs, but, most dogs know their limits.. i, myself free feed and give table scraps since i have brought my dogs home, and like i have said before my vet has never had a problem with any kind of issues ( health looks etc)

RAW to me can be tricky and from what i have heard can be hard to follow,but, if you educate yourself then you should do fine.

good luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's great that you are planning on feeding raw. Phoebe has been on raw from 7 weeks old and she is amazingly healthy.
Here are some guidelines:
No cooking. No grain. No salt. No sugar. No dairy
75% muscle meat, 15% bone, 10% organs. (approx.)
You can grind or chop everything up, but dogs are made to chew apart whole animals, even puppies can take apart a chicken neck just fine.
Chicken, turkey, beef, pork, lamb, duck, goat, bison, elk, sardines, mackerel, eggs... It's all good.
Green tripe, lamb or beef, is absolutely essential. It's like yogurt for them.
1/4 tsp. kelp/alfalfa powder mixed with breakfast is the perfect vitamin/mineral supplement.
One squirt of salmon oil with breakfast gives omega-3, also absolutely essential.
Almost any part of almost any animal that you can find at your supermarket meat counter for under $2.00/lb is what you want. I buy whole stewing chickens, whole turkeys, beef heart, pork neck bones, chicken and turkey frames, lamb bones, sardines (in water), whole ducks, eggs, beef liver, beef kidneys, chicken liver... it averages about $2.00 /lb. Phoebe is about 50lbs, at one pound of food per day, that's about $60.00 per month. That's way cheaper than premium kibble.
http://www.totallyrawdogfood.com/MealCalculator.aspx
Here is the meal calculator at totallyrawdogfood.com. It will tell you exactly how much to feed a puppy or adult dog.
Congratulations for choosing to feed raw, it's the best thing you can do for you pet!
Please ask if you have any other questions, there are many raw feeders here who want to help!

·
Banned
363 Posts
There's absolutely nothing wrong with kibble, in fact you should have left the pup on the same food he was on before for a few weeks; he's had enough change in his environment already.

Whatever you feed him take it seriously, content and amount. Not just "random foods". If you are not going to be really serious about it then just buy a bag of quality kibble and follow the directions on the bag. One advantage of kibble is its very easy to be entirely consistent with the amount of calories etc he is fed; harder to do if you are always changing what you are giving him. You owe your dog good nutrition in appropriate amounts.

And many breeds of dog will badly overeat given the opportunity. Of all the different ways we fail our dogs, letting them get fat is probably the least excusable.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I hope this doesn't sound rude, but if you're going to feed raw you definitely need to do a little more research. It sounds like you've been giving him a lot of goodies, which is great, but you can't just throw in random amounts of this and that, or boil a random amount of chicken with a random amount of parmesan cheese.

If you are feeding raw you need to start calculating how many grams he should be getting a day -- how many grams of meat, how many grams of bone, and later on how many grams of organs. When to bring in new protein sources, when to introduce organs, which organs to introduce, and so on. There is a lot of information to absorb about feeding a raw diet. You are in TOTAL control of your dog's nutritionary needs when you feed raw, and as your puppy is growing it's especially important that he gets the right amounts of right nutrients; not too much, and not too little.

It sounds like he's had a LOT of rich food since you got him, so he may be feeling a little queasy. Worst case scenario would be something like bloat or impaction, but I think it's more likely that he'll either throw up or have some diarrhoea. If this happens you need to get him on some boiled chicken and rice -- NOT too much, find out the appropriate amount according to his size -- until things in his digestive system cool down. He's undergoing a lot of stress right now, having just had his environment change drastically, and changing his diet at this point, with all those rich goodies, was not a terribly good idea.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I recently read an article that stated the biggest increase of cases of Pancreatitis in dogs was during the holiday seasons. People feeding their dogs a lot of fatty ham, gravy, stuffing, sweets etc.. can make a dog really sick even after just one day. A teaspoon of this or that maybe considered a treat, but filling your dog's bowl with leftover holiday foods could be asking for trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts