Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been struggling with this a while now, about when to let Annie go, or whether or not to keep her here with me, despite her suffering. I still don't know what to do, I've yet to get that feeling where you "just know it".

However, despite this, I think I am going to force myself to put her to sleep. She's had a few good 'moments' where she'll try to play with the other dogs, but those are far and few between these days, especially lately. In the last week, Annie no longer even comes out of her kennel like she used to. Before then, she'd still get excited to come out, despite being in pain. Now, she huddles in the back and looks like she is begging you not to make her come out, even just to potty.

She's gotten to where, when I carry her outside while the others play, she no longer sits there with me, contentedly watching. Now she huddles by my side, and spends most of the time shaking, mostly from pain. Despite trying Rimadyl, which didn't go over well, and Previcox, neither even made the slightest dent in her pain. The vet said we can try Derramaxx, but that he doubts it'll have much more affect than the others.

She can no longer squat to pee anymore. In the last week, she has been reduced to flopping on her butt on the ground, and just "letting it out". Once done, she struggles to her feet. And doing potty #2 has become a painful chore for her, that sometimes results in whimpering.

99% of the time, she isn't happy. She's layed in the back of her kennel, sometimes shivering in pain, despite her pain medications. She looks depressed, and not that happy bouncing girl I had just over a month ago, before her life, and mine, all but stopped.

The only thing that has kept me from having her PTS before now, is that she took comfort in wanting to always sit by my side, as opposed to playing. She loved having her hair stroked, and was content in being in my lap. She no longer has a desire to do that, and would rather that the world just leave her alone while she huddles in the back of her kennel.

I've never had to have one of my guys put to sleep. I've never been forced to make that decision. And I've never felt so torn.

I think I am going to bring her Monday. I am going to have her cremated, and her ashes returned to me.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
It sounds like this is the best thing for her, if you ask me. I'm sorry you have had to make such a tough decision, but then again, if she really is doing this poorly, it doesn't sound like it was a hard decision to make after all. She is suffering, and nothing is helping. It's her time.

Give her an extra pat for me. =/

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm so sorry but it does sound like the best decision - Annie won't be in pain while she waits at the bridge

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
It definitely sounds like her time has come. You will be releasing her from a pain filled life. I know it's hard - I have had to do it with both a dog and a cat and it's awful but you know they're better off for it. I'll be thinking of you guys on Monday. Take care and know you're helping her, not hurting her. :)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Awww...I don't know what to say, but know that my heart goes out to you. Be confident that you are making the right decision, she'll be going where there is no pain. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think that you really do have the "really just know it" feeling but you were probably just second guessing those feelings.

It sounds like your little girl is ready for some relief and you will be doing her a huge good deed by letting her go to the Bridge.

I'll be thinking of you and Annie monday.... in the meantime spoil her rotten, give her all the stuff she loves to get, even if it's a piece of chocolate... she deserves it, and give her some hugs from all of us as well.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'm so sorry, but it does seem to be for the best. Dogs have no concept of the future...only now. If she is in pain, unhappy with no good prognosis, you would be doing her a favor.

·
Registered
926 Posts
You have rescued alot of dogs; and do your best to give them a quality life. I don't doubt you know what is best for Annie. I'm sorry you have to make this decision.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I'm so sorry. As others said, I think deep down you know it is best to end her suffering. I don't know her full story but you gave her a good life in her later days. I'll be thinking of you.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words, they've really been taken to heart. I do agree, I think deep down somewhere along the line, I do know it's her time. It's just hard to come to terms with, watching her alive and looking at me right now, but trying to prepare myself for having to let her go, and thinking about the future without her. Even though I know her future wouldn't have been a bright one, and that is what is pushing me to end her pain. I think it just hasn't "hit" me yet, because I've struggled quite a while with this decision.

Thank you all again, the kind words mean a lot.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The only thing that has kept me from having her PTS before now, is that she took comfort in wanting to always sit by my side, as opposed to playing. She loved having her hair stroked, and was content in being in my lap. She no longer has a desire to do that, and would rather that the world just leave her alone while she huddles in the back of her kennel.

QUOTE]

I read that paragraph and thought "that would be my sign".

She sounds like a sweetie and I'm sorry you have to make this choice. Have you had her long? Was she a rescue?

Extra hugs and kisses for Annie...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Whenever she is looking at your eyes, she could be saying ''Please take the pain away from me''

The best for her, and for you would to put her too sleep, it will be hard YES, but just wishing she recovers in the form of a miracle just ain't happening.

Spend the last day and hours with her and she might be in pain, but she knows and feel you love her and that is what she needs the most right now.

Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Awwwwww.....:(

Sounds like it is time for sure......I think it's the hardest thing on earth to do.....With our Ginger, I picked a day.....it was a thursday.....the vet people knew the day.......this was the first dog I had to put down.....I had done cats, but they are not the same......Dogs are more *people*......You know you are doing what is best for Annie.....love on her lots, and I will keep you and her in my thoughts......I am sorry.......Hugs!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I'm so sorry you are faced with this decision. It's never an easy one to make that's for sure. In fact, it's probably the hardest thing a pet lover has to do. It is also the most unselfish act we can offer our pets when it is time. It is truly an act of love when they are in pain and are suffering.

You just have to know that you are releasing Annie from a pain ridden body but her soul and her spirit will always be with you. She'll be watching and waiting for you at the Bridge.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I'm so sorry.

THE DOGS WHO HAVE SHARED OUR LIVES

The dogs who've shared our lives.
In subtle ways they let us know
their spirit still survives.
Old habits still make us think
we hear a barking at the door.
Or step back when we drop
a tasty morsel on the floor.