Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So indy has thrown up in my bed 3 times in three days. First two times I chalked this up to too much yard grazing. He'll eat too much grass or maybe some bark once in a long while and have an incident or two (once in like 3 months or more). This seemed to be reflected in some Greenery in the vomit and some fun grassy poops.

What I wasn't thinking was that we're trying new kibble. Duh. Our pet store stopped carrying by nature. We're trying Canidae lamb for the last ~5 days. He's been acting normal, eating normally. I guess the increase in grass eating may be to settle his tummy?

We've been on by nature for years and blue buffalo before that. We tried a bag under the sun before the canidae. I think the increase in grazing may have started under the sun.

I assume swap foods to something else immediately. Do we go in the way back machine to blue buffalo? Do we try something different? Webmd says maybe try a higher fiber food for grass eaters. Taste of the wild and wilderness are two high fiber options I know of?

why did I go with the big bag of Canidea? Is there any other use for this?

With a red flag like new food I don't think a vet trip is warranted just yet...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
About to hot the pet store on my lunch hour? Any tips blue or totw seem to be my best guesses. Not sure if I get better advice from local guy or petco. Indy did well with solid gold rabbit once but price on that is outrageous

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Acana is comparable to Canidae, if they carry it. There's also Earthborn. TOTW is a good option, as well.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Managed to pick up a 6lb bag of by nature. So we're switching back To get back to normal then we will transition to a bag of Totw pasific flavor and see how that goes.

Didn't think of this before but eating chicken based food for years then switching to lamb based overnight might have been rough on his tummy. Although he did fine switching to solid gold rabbit for a 4lb bag once in the spring (it was super coupon day)... Plus we go all over the map with treats.

Also still not sure what to do with the ~28lbs of leftovers in his food bin... Rescues won't take unsealed bags. I can ask neigbors I guess... ( I will be upfront that this upset stuff upset Indy)

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Most premium dog food brands have a satisfaction guarantee, you should be able to take it back to the shop for a refund and they can get a refund from the company. (If you have the bag still or maybe even just the receipt)

I wonder if the food is off or bad, if he's used to different treats then I'd be a bit surprised that the change to a lamb based food upset his stomach that much. Possible, just surprising.

·
Registered
270 Posts
What is not clear from your description is how did you switch from the food no longer available to Canidae. Did you transition gradually from the old to Canidae or switch "cold turkey"? I am suspecting the later, since you indicated your store no longer carries it. This could be the problem or at least part of the problem. If it were me I would go back to the original if you can find it at another store or on-line, get your dog settled and doing well. Also if your dog's digestive system is potentially sensitive, look for foods with a single protein, From there if going to another store or on line is not a good option for you, transition gradually to a new food with the same protein in the old. If going to another store or on-line is not an option at all, then switch to another with the same protein. As to brand, there are many good ones but not all will work well for your dog, so you may have to try a few before finding the right one. You might look here http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com for some great information and dog food ratings. IMHO buy the best food you can afford. Look at the 5-star rated foods and identify a couple that based on ingredients, protein sources and amounts etc. fit your dogs needs, then check prices. If they are priced too high for your budget, drop down to the 4-star ratings etc. until you find the right combination. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Most premium dog food brands have a satisfaction guarantee, you should be able to take it back to the shop for a refund and they can get a refund from the company. (If you have the bag still or maybe even just the receipt)

I wonder if the food is off or bad, if he's used to different treats then I'd be a bit surprised that the change to a lamb based food upset his stomach that much. Possible, just surprising.
Kabota was sicky for a week, nothing too dramatic, just loose bowels alternating with diarrhea, then I noticed that his food smelled off and seemed kinda greasy. I buy two 4.4 lb bags of Acana at a time and throw them both into a plastic bin. I open one bag, finish it, then the other. This was the second bag. I hadn't noticed that the bag arrived damaged, so the kibble had gone bad while I was feeding the first bag. So that kind of thing does happen. Now I inspect the bags before I put them away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts