Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a five month old puppy that keeps scratching on the door to go out like every twenty minutes to half hour. I feel I have to reward him and take him out and he will usually piddle something out and I take him back in..Not fifteen minutes to half hour later he's scratching to go out again..Sometimes he'll do a poo or sometimes will meter out a little dribble of urine and we'll go back inside. If he doesn't do anything then I put him in his crate. I don't think he gets the idea that if he signals to go outside and he doesn't do anything then he goes in the crate but if he does he gets a treat. He's constantly scratching on the door to go out. It's like as soon as he feels any urine in his bladder he wants to go outside to pee..The other thing is he will do this just to go outside to smell the air or look for birds..We stay in one place so he knows that it's just outside to do business..It's such a constant thing that sometimes I'm out three times in an hour! I think one of the problems is that when I first started training him (I got him two months ago) he would pee on the floor so I would get him outside to finish and take him very often so he would get the hang of it..Now he doesn't make a mistake indoors but won't hold it for a few hours..I don't keep him in his crate when I'm home only if I need to be on the computer or if I can't keep an eye on him..He does stay in his crate when I run errands..but other than that he's out..Should I ignore him if I'm pretty sure he doesn't have to go bad and make him hold it? He starts to chew on the doorknob if I ignore him too much..I try to distract him with a toy but he will come right back to scratch to go out..Please help me with this as I'm extremely frustrated. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Have the vet check for any physical problems before chalking it up to behavioral.

I think if the vet check comes up clean, your dog has figured out that when he is successful outside you reward him and he gets to be outside so it is a way to get your attention and possibly, a treat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet did check him out and he's healthy. I know it's behavioral. I just don't know how to undo it. :(

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Welcome to puppyhood!! And I agree with briteday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You might want to try to get a urine sample to take to your vet to rule out a urinary infection. And instead of giving treats, reward your puppy by petting and saying good boy or girl in an excited voice when your pup eliminates outside.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My pup does the same thing! Try extending his walks and then when he's inside give him something to keep his mind off of going outside like a kong or bully stick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses..He doesn't have a urine infection..He was checked out by the vet. I know it's a behavioral issue because I took him out so much when I was training him. I think he gets bored very easily and just wants to go outside before I'm ready to take him..With all the taking him out after him signaling I have a hard time getting myself dressed to take him to the park. :) What I've been doing is taking him out when he signals and if he doesn't go then I put him in the crate and just get myself ready. He will cry or whimper but settles down pretty soon. It's amazing how fast I can get myself ready when I don't have to stop to take him out..I take him to a local park with a path through trees for around forty-five minutes every day..I was told that you can only walk a puppy for five minutes for every month of birth so that would mean twenty five minutes for him..but I just break up the walk with letting him sniff and walk on the grass..Most of the time someone will come by with a dog and they will have a little meeting..but I'm pretty much brisk walking him a half hour to forty minutes a day..Later on before dinner we go outside on a flexi leash and I throw some toys for him to get and he gets to run around. Two days a week I have him in a dog playcare situation so he can run around with dogs and get socialized..One day a week he has a training class with me and other owners/dogs..so he has alot of things to do..He just doesn't want to just stay home and lay around..He wants to get out there and play all the time..He is a little better now that I've put him in the playcare twice a week and the walking in the park everyday..It tires him out and he seems more content. I have been trying to redirect him with toys but he will play and then go back to the door and stare at me to say...hey I told you I have to go outside..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Another thing you could have tried, or still could is:

Now that he's older, take him two or three times a day at the same time every day. If in-between the times, when you know he doesn't have to go, don't take him. Instead start working with him doing tricks. Everyone swears by mental stimulation, that when done correctly and long enough, it's more tiring then physical stimulation.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I can vouch for mental activity.

I try to keep Wally thinking constantly. He's sleep about as much as he is awake :)

I know, I'm probably hard on him with the training, but he enjoys it while we are doing it - especially the sniffing for food games and the shaping.

I try to keep him mentally engaged 5 or 6 of the 12 non-nap/sleep hours a day. Three of the other six are for his walks, the rest is just "down time" of him following me around, just sniffing the garden, sitting in my lap while at the computer, etc.

Not neccessarily "formal" training, but just having him do shaping or some problem solving and burst of me stringing like six commands together rapid fire like.

Of course, a young puppy, I (probably) wouldn't be this constant, but yeah I saw mental activity, even if just fun, can wear him out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks..Those are all great ideas! I will do his training during those times..I never knew that mental stimulation is more tiring than the physical! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
482 Posts
If the pup knows he's supposed to go potty outside, I'd stop the treats. Going outside is reward enough. He'll be able to squeeze out a little something to get the treat, regardless of whether he really has to go or not.

We started calling our pup's bluffs when she was telling us she had to go. We now will not take her out unless it's been 2 hours since her last potty break (unless we take her out to play/walk). We also take her out a different door for playtime than the one we use for potty breaks. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks..I've been sitting in a different room away from the door to the kitchen where we go so that's made a huge difference. My front door is across an area that would be hard to keep clean with the muddy or wet pawprints so I have to go through the kitchen but I like that idea..Too bad I can't do that..it would be great to see which one he runs to and then I would know if he really had to go or just want to play..I've been walking him and keeping him busy and that's helping somewhat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts