Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I go up to the park, and have a bit of a sturggle getting her to behave. She wants to fight with the other dogs, seems to be getting sick of hot-dogs, ham, and fruitloops, and seems a bit stressed. We get there, have a great time, and head back. We get the the last little bit before we get home, and she had been behaving. I let her off, and she greets brody, the beagle she gets along well with. Then, she comes back to me. All of a sudden, those treats that she didn't really want are important, and she follows me perfectly. I have a bunch of treats I still need to use, so I walk back and forth by Brody for a while. Within three repititions, she's ignoreing the dog and focused on me. Just like I wasn't useing the leash to go up to the park with her this winter because my balance was horrid and I kept falling and jerking the leash. Anyway, she was almost perfect. I put the leash back on, and have to start all over.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NOt bad, but not great either. I *Think* it may be partially do to the fact she gets corrections on leash, although it's her own doing: I want to see this dog! *Lunge* Hey! It bit me! *GROWLBARKGROWLBARKGROWL* Meanwhile, my knee-jerk reaction is to drag her back. No leash on, I have to get between her and the other dog, then grab the colar, then keep moving.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
No leash on, I have to get between her and the other dog, then grab the colar, then keep moving.
Would it be possible to do this while on-leash? Maybe that could help.

Also, getting between them is a calming signal (or I guess a "okay you two are getting out of hand, settle down!" signal) - not to mention the body blocking you're giving both dogs, so it's clear what you're trying to communicate. Always a plus. :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do wit the leash, without the leash, there's not that lunge. So, not the nervousness.

Mostly, I get between them in order to get fry's attention back on me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts