Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have a female dog in heat,they keep her inside which is good except during the day when they leave the put her outside in a kennel. Needless to say there are dogs all over the place coming to see her. Our yard is fenced,their yard is fenced. But the smell of the dog is driving my male lab crazy,for 2 days so far he has done nothing but sit and whine or go outside and sit by the fence and whine. I don't know if there is anything to do that will help.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I told her that according to the laws in our area if a dog gets hurt because of her female she will be responsible. She said she doesn't want to have her dog fixed because she's a "purbred" and she may want to get a male before long.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
It's still perfectly legal to own an intact dog. I actually have one sleeping here right now. And if your dog gets hurt trying to get to her, that's sad, but ultimately it's your problem. I am not aware of any place on earth where I would be responsible for injuries your dog suffered because I own a female in heat.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
^^ there is here, female animals in heat are by law required to be kept indoors at all times. if a female in heat is outside-even if locked up..and another dog gets loose and hurt as a result, you would be the one breaking the law and be liable.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
^^ there is here, female animals in heat are by law required to be kept indoors at all times. if a female in heat is outside-even if locked up..and another dog gets loose and hurt as a result, you would be the one breaking the law and be liable.
Hold up now. Say what?

All three of my dogs are in tact. At the ages of 8, 5 and 4, we've not ever not once had any sort of 'scare'. Troubles tends to get antsy whenever a bitch is in heat, but we don't let him act on it. Even though it's irritating to no end. Diesel completely ignores all females in heat (I'm not exaggerating. He really doesn't care) I've had dogs flock here because of Aleu being in heat, but my only problem when that happens is keeping my dog secured and running the other ones off.
If someone's dog were to come to my yard and get in a scuffle with another dog, or get hit by a vehicle or something else, because Aleu is in heat, then that's a sad story tell it again, but neither my dog or me is responsible, and I would be damned before I'd let anybody blame their failure to keep their pets contained on me or my animals. -.-'
But that's just me. I have a 'keep yours home and I'll keep mine' policy when it comes to my dogs. If I can manage to keep my dogs safe, at home, and "virgin" then you can too and if you can't well then it's your problem.
Sooooo, guess what I'm trying to say is, that law's derp.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Cool law! Where is that?

As far as males, I don't know anyway to help, except to wait it out. B/c of how their sense of smell works, you can't cover the smell, only block it... and that's very difficult, b/c you can bring the smell into your house. Even though she could smell for a month or so, he may calm down a bit after about two weeks, if he's kept away from her. However, I've seen male dogs go after females who are 2 weeks out of heat, if allowed to get up close and personal... Not sure why (I think it has to do with the various stages), just observation.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Talk about a vague, unenforceable law. That is one of the silliest things I've ever heard.

"Sure, my gate was open, but my dog only got hit by a car because the neighbor's dog was in heat!" :/

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Miss Bugs-

Is that a state statute or a city ordinance? And is there any way that you can post the language? I am extremely curious how it's worded.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
That law is ridiculous. It sounds like a roundabout way to punish people with intact dogs. It's their(general) job to contain their dogs. Talk about shifting the blame.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have searched briefly, but the most I can find is that a female dog must be confined in a house, building, or secure enclosure so as not to cause a disturbance. Penalties include being forced to board the dog at a vet clinic. It does not mention any liability for injury to male dogs.

There are several ordinances I could find requiring that females in heat not be running at large.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, a pool is legally considered an "attractive nuissance" so, at least in NJ, even if you put a fence up and a no tresspassing sign, if someone breaks in and gets hurt in your pool, you are liable. I guess to a dog on the other side of the fence, a female in heat is definitely an attractive nuissance!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
As far as your dog goes, teach the leave it command. I have two males, when the females come in, the are aggravating! So leave it works, they just have to be reminded. Often.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I would imagine a law like that is for people who just leave their in heat dogs outside unattended... not for those who go out with them and confine them inside the house...

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It shouldn't matter whether the dog lives inside or outside. If the bitch is properly contained and kept at home, I just can't wrap my head around how her owner would be responsible for someone else not keeping their dog home. It doesn't make any sense to me.
To me, that kind of a law comes off as trying to shift the blame, as someone else said. A stray bitch could just as easily draw a male from his home. Who would they blame then?

I would like to read this law myself, just so I feel firm in my opinion.

As for the OPs dog, yeah, it's extremely annoying. I have a neighbor who puts her dog outside on purpose when she goes into heat, because she WANTS my Chihuahua to breed with her. So when this happens, we have to be with him at all times to prevent it. He whines and cries and even the mention of the bitch's name makes him whimper. All I really know to do for it is wait it out.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
its a city by-law

and the wording is just that, "females animals in a period of heat must be kept indoors at all times"

our AC is not that strict, they are very leniant on all their by-laws, they mostly use them as back up for bigger problems. just saying that the law does exist lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts