Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a strange post, but I'm curious what other "dog people" think. So, I budget money to do "fun things" which, quite often, goes to buying stuff for my dog. Toys, gear, etc. I think this is relatively normal 馃槀
The other thing I buy is collars, harnesses, and leashes. I like to buy her matching sets I'm various colors, match them with bandanas, all that. She has seasonal outfits, waterproof ones, fancy ones, old ones for running around the farm, and so on. All that to say, I probably have at least 300 USD worth of dog leash sets. She probably has more "clothes" than I do. Theyre all hanging up organized with the human coats. People I know, often non-dog people, tell me it's a bit much.

I'm not going to stop buying stuff, I like making her look pretty, and z genuinely enjoys "compliments" (aka positive attention) from strangers when she goes out in something new and cute.... BUT I am curious, does anyone else have a ridiculous amount of collars etc for their dog(s)?

Registered
Kind of a strange post, but I'm curious what other "dog people" think. So, I budget money to do "fun things" which, quite often, goes to buying stuff for my dog. Toys, gear, etc. I think this is relatively normal 馃槀
The other thing I buy is collars, harnesses, and leashes. I like to buy her matching sets I'm various colors, match them with bandanas, all that. She has seasonal outfits, waterproof ones, fancy ones, old ones for running around the farm, and so on. All that to say, I probably have at least 300 USD worth of dog leash sets. She probably has more "clothes" than I do. Theyre all hanging up organized with the human coats. People I know, often non-dog people, tell me it's a bit much.

I'm not going to stop buying stuff, I like making her look pretty, and z genuinely enjoys "compliments" (aka positive attention) from strangers when she goes out in something new and cute.... BUT I am curious, does anyone else have a ridiculous amount of collars etc for their dog(s)?
Generally speaking, dogs do not need clothes. IMO, this is borderline abuse.

Registered
Who am I to tell you how to spend your money? I think you already know there are better things you could put that money toward, either in your own budget or charitable giving. But wasting money is what fuels our modern economic system, so in a certain light your purchases can be viewed as downright patriotic. Anyway, people spend money on things that are harmful all the time; at least you're just spending yours on something merely unnecessary.

If you aren't already purchasing products made in an environmentally friendly way by small businesses or individual makers, though, you should consider doing so. The big box stores are rich enough and there's plenty of plastic in the oceans already.

Super Moderator
I honestly don't see it as any different than any other collection-based hobby! So long as it's not impacting your ability to afford necessities, there's nothing wrong with having lots of different dog gear for a purely aesthetic purpose. I'm definitely planning on splurging on some fancy leather collars one day, but for now I have to stick to only buying new gear when I have a specific need I'm trying to fill. I do have some Biothane I'm messing around with, because it'd be a lot more economical to have fancy, pretty gear if I learn how to make it myself, haha!

@Furbaby's Mum if you read the post, you'll see that Kensi is talking about collars, harnesses, leashes, and the occasional bandana. Not literal clothes. But regardless, please avoid calling other forum members 'abusive' lightly.

Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
If you like your dog to have matching collars and leashes for every occasion, then go for it! Seriously, in the big scheme of things this is not an issue. There is no abuse, no weirdness - you've just found a fun way to express your, and your dog's, personalities. Enjoy!

P.S. check out Yellow Dog Design. They have a ton of matching styles - harnesses, collars, and leashes. Holidays, themes, patterns, etc.

Reactions: Kensi

Registered
Not a thing I choose to do... One black Fursaver collar (NEVER attached to a leash on the "live" (choke) ring), two black prongs of different lengths.. almost never used. One black e collar double box. One black 3 foot leash. One cotton web 6' leash. One flat leather collar with address/phone # plate (only worn when traveling). One adjustable agitation harness. One old wide flat agitation collar.

I DID buy him a metal lockable Zinger metal crate ($800) for the Truck I bought for him (finally paid off).... Along with the $2500 truck cap.... :rolleyes:

Who's to say what is "foolish money spent" if you earn it and can afford to do it and want to do it.

Edit to add:
10 meter tracking line and two agitation lines (nylon web) one 10 feet and one 15 feet.

Super Moderator
I don't buy "wearables" so much. It's toys that I spend a stupid amount of money on! Ralphie really enjoys stuffies, so if I find something I think is cute, I buy it 馃槀 His toy bin is overflowing, and he has a second pile of toys downstairs in the basement family room because I haven't bought a bin yet!

I did, however, spend a lot of money on making him matching gear to take to trials. He has a plain green collar specifically for agility because you can't have tags on when they're running, a nice leather leash, and then because I can sew and am fairly crafty I made a crate cover and matching crate pads. I saved money making it myself, but fabric is not cheap!

It's your money, spend it on what you want!

Registered
Eh, there are far worse things to spend your money on. At least buying dog stuff is legal. :)

My dogs each have their own color for collars and leashes, so I tend to buy just what I need of those. Once they get to be around two or three, then they get their custom fancy collar. I do have quite a collection of things like harnesses and long lines that I've accumulated over the years (Simon's nosework harness was originally Ilka's). With the addition of a SPoo to to family, the number of grooming supplies increased dramatically, including a grooming table and assorted clipper blades. My one really big splurge was buying a new-to-us Nissan Pathfinder last year, so that I could use a crate instead of seatbelt harnesses.

Reactions: 3GSD4IPO

Registered
Eh, there are far worse things to spend your money on. At least buying dog stuff is legal. :)

My dogs each have their own color for collars and leashes, so I tend to buy just what I need of those. Once they get to be around two or three, then they get their custom fancy collar. I do have quite a collection of things like harnesses and long lines that I've accumulated over the years (Simon's nosework harness was originally Ilka's). With the addition of a SPoo to to family, the number of grooming supplies increased dramatically, including a grooming table and assorted clipper blades. My one really big splurge was buying a new-to-us Nissan Pathfinder last year, so that I could use a crate instead of seatbelt harnesses.
It's the same here... Buying a vehicle for dog transport... and next year a new puppy might some sort of custom crate because the Tacoma is narrow between the wheel wells and a FS pick is awfully pricey.

Registered
It's your money, spend it on what makes you happy. And you aren't the only one. Another forum I'm on has a long, long thread about fancy collars members have bought for their dogs, and a lot of people have large collections.

I don't buy a lot of collars and leashes for my dogs, but my Rotties wore a black leather collar trimmed with silver and turquoise for Rally, Obedience, Carting, and Drafting competitions. My money, my dogs, my choice.

I'm looking forward to getting my German Pinscher boy the same kind of collar -- it will show even better against his short, short hair.

Registered
Ummmmmm yeah, I have a little 'problem' with buying dog clothes too! My dog has raincoats, boots, winter gear, sunglasses, hat, hoodies.....but I don't dress him up unless it's cold or rainy. Most of the stuff I bought he doesn't wear, but I have all sizes for growing puppies! But I do protect him from the nasty winter cold and rain or wet sometimes. The problem is we are hoping for a little sister for him and I think I bought more clothes for a girl puppy 馃ぃ.

I just like clothes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If you aren't already purchasing products made in an environmentally friendly way by small businesses or individual makers, though, you should consider doing so. The big box stores are rich enough and there's plenty of plastic in the oceans already.
This is a good point. All of mine are either from a small/local business and are sustainably sourced. (Perhaps my biothane one is not actually sustainably sourced, that's something I ought to look into)

(Oh- and I want to make it clear that this money isn't taking away from what I could donate, save, etc. This is the little bit of money that I have set aside to, say, go watch a movie or buy new flowers for the garden- just anything extra.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Generally speaking, dogs do not need clothes. IMO, this is borderline abuse.
I do, actually, see where you are coming from but, first, these are not costume type things, they are just collars, harnesses, and leashes, which every dog probably wears- I've just purchases different colors, patterns, etc.
But I definitely agree that when someone stuffs a dog that hasn't been desensitized into a "cute" costume just for attention, that is unkind to the animal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They shouldn鈥檛 be clothed in human clothes for human gratification/entertainment, desensitized or not. They鈥檙e not people/stand in kids.
If they have been taught to enjoy wearing it, and if it in no way hinders their range of movement/bodily functions, and if it poses no other risk to the dog, it could easily be enjoyable- or at least neutral- to the dog, the same as, say, a coat to keep a short-haired dog warm in the snow. And if the dog enjoys the extra attention, then good for them.

Personally, I agree with you. I prefer things that are more practical. (but still look nice) Since a onsie or costume has no practical purpose, I would not get one for my dog. (a cute collar or leash still serves a purpose, it just looks cute at the same time) She is mix of working breeds, and she hangs out on the farm and leads an active lifestyle. I have no need to dress her up. But again, I'd say this is preference. It's the same reason I'd rather get a Malinois than a Pomeranian. But perhaps the story would be different for a lap dog from a big city. Some individuals prefer a cute dog to pet and go for strolls with over a dog to adventure with. And that's fine by me, I'm just not one of those people.

Super Moderator
I mean, my older dog spent most of the last winter (and a chunk of the spring) in a onesie. He likely will continue to do so whenever the weather is chilly for the rest of his life, indoors and out. It does have a purpose: he's an older dog with chronic pain and stiffness in his back, and keeping his muscles warm makes him a lot more comfortable. There are dogs who enjoy wearing their 'pajamas' even if they aren't old and sore, too - I know someone whose dog will actively begged to have them put on. So I wouldn't assume that seeing a dog in a onesie means it's only for the owner's amusement, even if the outfit has a cute or fun style.

Registered
Well, I'm not much into having an assortment of cute or colorful matching gear for my dogs, nor am I one to dress them up on a daily basis 'just because' (I will put a sweater on a dog who is obviously chilly when outside, though) my dogs all are conditioned to wearing the occasional costume & playing 'dress up' for our annual Christmas picture. It's actually pretty funny to watch their reaction when I pull out the box of costumes - they all come running, get super excited & start jumping on & off the hearth (which is usually where we sit & pose) in anticipation of the high value treats they get for putting up with my silly, human nonsense. If they were truly traumatized by the photo shoot I wouldn't make them play, but they seem to get at least some level of enjoyment out of it (I mean -- FOOD!! There's nothing better!). When new props or costumes are added I spend extra time (as in numerous short sessions over the course of days or even a couple weeks) making sure that everyone is fully comfortable with the situation. Abusive? Nah. My dogs lead a pretty charmed life here & this is the price they have to pay for it. :sneaky:
A couple shots from years gone by:
The Muttcracker
Mammal Red Toy Santa claus Event

Santa's little helpers:
Green Snowman Fawn Christmas ornament Toy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts