Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often go to a leash park when I have a bit of spare time and just sit and unobtrusively watch people and how they deal with their dogs and the dog's reactions to different things..

today I saw a man walking a lab on a combination of head halter AND martingale. I found this kind of odd and I simply cannot fathom what the exact purpose of combining the two would be. the dog was fairly well behaved but...he would jerk around every once in a while and the guy would tug on one of the leashes or the other...

:confused:

could there be any a legit application of this combo?

has anyone heard of or seen this before?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I suspect for the same reason that some men wear suspenders and a belt.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
When I used to use a halti, Cara squirmed out of it, when she spotted a rabbit, amazingly. He may have been concerned about that. Was it a sighthound?

Sorry, I see it was a lab... Never mind. :D

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no not a greyhound..a lab.

a big mutha of a lab.

the dog would jerk and kind of lunge forward then the guy would yank one or the other of the leashes..

some of the stuff I see people do baffles me.

I mean so I guess he was correcting the dog for trying to shake off the halti???

err.....

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
When I was trying to acclimate one of my dogs to the halti I had the same problem of her squirming out of it, so I used a combo of halti and regular flat buckle collar...no leash corrections though...and I tossed the halti after a few tries, not a fan of that thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used to have a dog that could squirm out of a halti, reverse out of a collar and also get out of a harness. If I walked her in a public place, I would have her double leashed but I used one of those V shaped things that allowed you to walk two dogs with one leash. It allowed me to hook the leash to both the halti and harness and it looked less conspicious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts