Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barley is my first puppy. She is a wonderful and intelligent little dog and I absolutely love her! Except for one thing. Walking her is awful. Here are just a few of her... "walking quirks":
1. She likes to just stop. Not because its a shady stop, not because she is tired. She just stops. And lays down and looks at me and my boyfriend like "What are you lookin at??" I wouldn't have a problem if she just wanted to rest but she does it every couple of feet and it makes a 15 minute walk take 30 minutes.
2. She herds her humans as they walk which makes it hard to enjoy a walk with her and my boyfriend because we have to keep untangling ourselves. I want Barley to be able to walk on one side or the other and stop switching every couple seconds and tangling us up.
3. If I even pull slightly on the leash to try and get her to get up after one of her "I quit" episodes she does this thing where she hops backwards and lifts her front paws off the ground and shakes back and froth. Its hard to explain but it makes it look like I'm abusing her.
4. She randomly decides to play attack her walkers legs, occasionally drawing blood.
I know Barley is going to grow to be a 60ish pound dog. I'm only 115 pounds and I don't think I can walk her comfortably if she keeps doing this when she is grown. I want to walk my dog but I want her to be well behaved. Any suggestions?? Anything would help.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Two words. Silky Leash.......3rd word.....walking.

I was recommended this and tried it and it worked a charm. Its not an instant cure and for my dogs it requires a lot in terms of time and patience. And we are no where near ready for major distractions yet. But it works. And we use an Easy Walker harness or a Halti in the meantime to get through walks until the training is solid.

I have downloaded a few vids on Youtube (I didn't say that on an open forum lol) so not sure of links, but can send you them via email if you like? Just PM me with your email addy and Ill flick them through. I'm sure a few others will chime in with links and you can go have a look as I cant speak highly enough of it.

As for herding, Im guessing you have a herding breed? Well, its totally normal and maybe look at herding type sports or some sort of mental stimulation to tire her out before you start training. A tired puppy is a good puppy :)

As for her stopping - shes a baby and has no real idea of life as anyone knows it, little darling. Let her stop. And enjoy it. Because one day - you will be the one stopping and wishing for these days when she would just STOP for 5 seconds hehe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1. stopping
It sounds as if she's uncomfortable with the leash and collar. What was the leash/collar introduction? Did you walk her around the house with the leash? Let her roam in the house with the leash on for a few days?
Treats, stinky ones like liver, are a good motivator to move with you, always a praise as she's moving with you as this will make her.

2. switching sides
Redirect her. When she tries to switch sides a "ahhh" and gently correct her back to the side you want and continue. Consistency, these things don't happen in a day! :D
Moms always have to remind us kids to brush our teeth, and soon we get into the habit.

Bait with treaties while calling her name. "I have treaties, you know you want to follow me." If someone says ice cream, i'm in.

4. leg attack
Attacking the legs, strangely all of the dogs I had did this to me. When she bit at my leg, by now she knew sit, i do "no."
If I can remember, she slowly grew out of it. The environment became much more interesting. She also became taller, lol, and didn't care about my ankles anymore.
Biting my ankles meant that she might miss something more interesting.

As long as you are consistent in these things, which take time, she will learn.

At 8 weeks, no dog walks perfectly, and mostly leash walking skills will be the hardest and longest skill to train for the average dog owner.
A baby cannot walk until several months or even until a year. Let her be a baby while introducing outside manners and as she grows then fully administer what you expect of her on walks.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Your puppy should not be going for walks this young.
Unless you are in a place completely void of all dogs, then you are putting her at high risk for contracting illnesses, most of which would be quickly fatal to a pup her age.

Do not walk her until she is finished with her vaccinations. In the mean time, you can work on her leash issues by walking around the yard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh for the love of god why does everyone assume she hasn't had her shots??? I live in the suburb, Not a lot of dogs and not a lot of people who walk their dogs. I got Barley from a shelter where she got ALL of her shots.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Oh for the love of god why does everyone assume she hasn't had her shots??? I live in the suburb, Not a lot of dogs and not a lot of people who walk their dogs. I got Barley from a shelter where she got ALL of her shots.
No one can guarantee that shots take effectiveness over the maternal antibodies until ~16 weeks which is why the last "puppy vaccine" comes at this time. The shelter you got your puppy from is operating very unsafely if they told you that your puppy had all of her vaccines and no matter how many vaccines your puppy has had, it may still be unprotected and able to contract deadly viruses due to it's age.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
HollowHeavan is not assuming your pup doesnt have her shots. At that age, she's not finished with her shots and is therefore not fully protected. She wont be fully protected for a few months yet and choosing to walk her is a risk. Every puppy owner has to weigh the pros and cons of that choice.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
If your dog is almost 9 weeks as your signature indicates, it's unlikely she's had all her shots. Puppies generally need several rounds of shots to ensure effectiveness. If your dog never nursed, it's possible that she'd only need one DHPP combo and one rabies since there wouldn't be much, if any, maternal antibodies. That situation, however, is not the norm.

It doesn't matter if there aren't many dogs in your neighborhood. It only takes one sick dog to spread disease.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Uh, because puppies are NOT finished with their shots at 9 weeks. Fact of life.

Until she is totally and completely finished with her vaccinations, you are putting her as risk. If even one ill dog or a dog packing an illness has stepped where your puppy is stepping, she can get it. If she contracts parvo, it's most likely over. But if you're okay with that :shrug:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Dogs get three rounds of shots. After which, they get a rabies shot. The shelter likely gave it the first. You wait weeks in between each. Each one is a booster to the other so they get given in an order. Have you been to the vet? You really should establish that relationship. Regardless of where you live, that's probably the biggest health need of a puppy. There are many FATAL diseases that they can get and it would be really heartbreaking.

If you can't afford a vet, sometimes Petco and others have discounted/charity types of situations where you can get dog shots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts