Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to share the crazy difference in coat length I'm seeing on Bandit now that he's finished blowing his winter coat! He looks like a different dog! :) He has shed nearly all of his undercoat - so much that I find myself wondering about his breed mix, or possibly even his health? :eek: This is his first spring with me (I've only owned him for a few months), so I have no idea what is "normal" for him. I do know that Willow doesn't shed NEARLY this much of her undercoat in the spring.

Is it possible for a Husky mix to lose all their undercoat in the spring (I guess it must be)? Anyone else see a drastic change in coat due to the seasons, and anyone want to share pics?

I still think he is adorable. :D He's a great dog and just my absolute buddy!

Pics in next post...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
He does look like a different dog! Very pretty! May I ask, how did you get all of his undercoat out? Just brushing or did you blow it out?

·
Registered
509 Posts
That's really an amazing difference!.....What did you use to groom him? My guys hair comes out in buckets when I groom him (I use the Furminator) but he still looks the same (maybe a little thinner);)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just brushed him with the Furminator once every 2 - 3 days - whenever I noticed new loose clumps appearing. It took about 3 weeks for him to blow his coat.

Would it sound more accurate if I said I hit him with a pair of thinning shears? :D ;)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Nekomi, he is still a handsome boy. Tiberius is supposed to be uber fluffy in the winter, I wouldn't know..he had already blown his coat when I got him. He has pretty thin fur now...so maybe its normal for the mixed breeds?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
He's just gorgeous either way! I wonder, though, if the furminator takes off too much top coat? Maybe one of the groomers on the forum will offer an opinion. I don't see that much difference in Poca's coat summer vs. winter but then again this is her first shed after a real winter, so we'll see.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
He looks great both ways...big and fluffy in his husky coat and neat and trim in his shepherd coat. My bc went through a big blow out last year and it freaked me out...my shelties shed alot and blow coat, but they still seem to always retain their fluffiness, but the bc, he looked pitiful for months, very scraggly. He's puffed up again right now, and I'm dreading the scraggly look, so far he hasn't blown out yet.

·
Registered
673 Posts
wow that is a big difference!! He will be alot cooler though. Does the furminator cut the fur too? I have a similar one can't remember the brand but I found it cut the hair too much [ the top coat ] so I just stuck with the rake brush. Mine's a Bernese and I think she's almost done blowing her coat, doesn't look alot different maybe a bit thinner. Do you think maybe using the one that cuts it and thins it out would be good for summer?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Bayne hasn't blown coat yet. When he does he will look alot sleeker... almost smaller than he does now, kinda like Bandit. He'll probably start blowing soon... our weather is warming up and we hit +12c yesterday :D

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
bandit is gorgeous!! such a handsome doggy :)

i had a siberian husky growing up who was grey and white in the winter and almost black and white in the summer. he also looked tons sleeker in the summer. i don't have an digital pictures of him but if i get time later i will scan some in. he really looked different.

iorek is shedding like NUTS now! i got him with the rake yesterday and got about a 1/2 a lb of fur out of one side and part of a hind leg! i swear! i brushed him for about 1 hour yesterday and i will probably do it every day or 2 until he is done blowing his coat. this is his first shed since he just turned 1 in jan. there is tons more fur than what was on my siberian!! i can post some pictures of the fur that comes out of him, since he really doesn't look that different, still white and fluffy :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts