Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Yeah, I've been to one, not a pretty thing. However you do have to understand that to the Amish an animal is an animal and not a part of the family as you and I think of them, they are around to produce in some fashion, that is to work, eat or make money from. An anmals worth is valued by what it contributes to the family and farm PERIOD. Of course they also don't tolerate laziness from their children, everybody and thing has a job with the exceptions of infants. That said, not all Amish are like this.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Yep, the Amish are firmly in the camp of 'mankind has dominion over the animals so we can do whatever we want to them, they're ours to use however we see fit'. I hear stories about how many overwork and neglect their horses as well.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Wow... 200 dogs is INSANE, even if you're breeding them. I don't really agree with the business, but all of the dogs seem to be in good condition: the cleaning system was pretty cool. I wonder if they all get vet checks....

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
And yet....the Bible says, at Proverbs 12:10 "The righteous one is caring for the soul of his domestic animal, but the mercies of the wicked ones are cruel."
Wonder what they'd say to that? Ugh. Drives me crazy when religious people try that whole "dominion of the Earth" thing. Dominion implies a responsibility to care properly for the subject under dominion. It's not an excuse for abuse.

Another sad thing about most Amish puppymills is that they don't usually have air conditioning.....you can use non-electric heating, but air conditioning is pretty difficult to do without electricity.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Vet check...and what about proper socialization?!? There is no way that those dogs can be properly socialized by only seeing 2 people and maybe not even daily. That is one of the most crucial things next to genetics in establishing a dog's temperment. A puppy mill is a puppy mill, period!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I wonder if they all get vet checks....
"Vet checks" involve a piece of rebar shoved down their throats so they can't bark and a "Remington pill"(a bullet to the head) when they can't breed anymore. Yep, good times.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I live in Ohio and I heard that in Holmes county, OH the puppy mill industry is a 9 million dollar a year industry. Coincidentally, it is also home to the largest amish population in Ohio... so sad.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I do believe "Zekial" is Mennonite, not Amish...not the same religion. The Mennonites use electricity and motorized vehicles. I'm sure there are Amish puppy mills though.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Amish isn't all a religion, it's mostly a way of life. With some it's both a religion and a way of life.

We do have dominion over the Earth and everything in it. However God also commands us to regard the life of our animals and to be good stewards with what He gives us. Some people go overboard and put animals above other people, and others don't treat animals properly and aren't good stewards of them.

200 dogs. That's sad...

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Having been a farmer I know all about animals needing to produce.. but even so, what I found out is they do ever so much better if they are cared for very very well and treated the same. You don't have the top 2X a day herd with NO hormones, NO artificial anything and a LISA farm and not treat those cows right. BTW, the herd would STILL be in the top 5% of that county today if I was still farming (24,000 pound rolling herd avg.). And you know what? You need to pay attention to the cow's behavior.. depression and misery do not put milk in the tank. Green pasture, regular grooming and good feed.. cows that are truly happy.. make money (and are more fun to work with).

And, even in the face of needing to make money we had "Old Spotty" who was a fresian cow that lived to be 21 and was retired... and Wooly Bully the Steer who was friendly and would follow me like a dog and stayed for years eventually becoming a 2000 pound pet Ox... and Polly who wasn't much good as a cow but was there for 10 years because she liked to take the stanchion next to the milkhouse and she was pretty white.. and Ellie who got terrible sick and we spent a year with her producing NOTHING trying to save her until she got sick again and the vet finally said, "its time.." or Julie who never made enough milk to meet herd average but who never kicked, knew her own name and new all her calves into adulthood...

Production on a farm is a LOT more than a numbers game, tho numbers count. Numbers add up a lot quicker if you really give a darn.

And you know.. in 20 years of farming and having more than a few animals like the ones above.. and all fixed barn cats and fixed dogs and horses that had to herd and go out on fence fixing duty etc... in all of that I paid my bills, never missed a payment on anything and I made money. Not huge money, but enough. More than I make now!

I used the Remington pill a few times.. but I can tell you it was only in a dire situation (like walking in the barn to a cow standing on three legs with the third one hanging with a compound fracture because she slipped getting up.. and the animal struggling and the vet an hour away..).

Greed is the reason for puppy mills. Nothing to do with Religion. Abuse in the name of profit or in the name of anything else is simply the act of cowards... Abuse is inexcusable.

My opinion.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
"Vet checks" involve a piece of rebar shoved down their throats so they can't bark and a "Remington pill"(a bullet to the head) when they can't breed anymore. Yep, good times.

Willowy, actually that's not true of all the Amish, the CoOp I went to had a vet that came out on a regular basis. Oh, they had large exhaust fans as well that cooled the barn where the dogs were kept, it was clean and the dogs were in runs and NOT overcrowded, in fact it looked alot like some of the hunting kennels I've seen that are considered 'reputable'. I actually bought a pup from these people nad when it got sick, they paid the dogs medical bills, which pretty much was what I paid for the pup. Unfortunately the dog developed a brain lesion at 10 months and had to be put down. I'm not defending the mills, however please don't think they're all 'horrible', many are very comparable to some larger scale good breeders.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I grew up in OH and MI - Some* Amish will do whatever it takes to make it in the New World. I have not doubt about puppy mills at all now that I have read this...and remembered....

I could go into the details about what happened when my grandfather died and my grandmother hired them to help take care of the farm...but that's a long story. That Amish farm had horses and livestock that looked...."feral"...is all I can think of. They were dirty and looked malnurished and rather miserable. I was a little kid then, I remeber wanting to pet one of their farm dogs...and I was yelled at by one of the people, maybe it was to protect me....but I think it was something else - I still think the dog wanted my attention. It was a long time ago. But I certainly didn't get a warm-n-fuzzy feeling. (bad-gunky memories! -SK)

BUT, I'm sure most of them are good, land-loving, responsible people. Although what I have personally seen (and heard about from my grandma for years) is different.

* This comment may contain confidential or privileged information ...Any opinons are subject to change at any time. I assume no responsibility for any misperceptions, errors or misunderstandings..yadda yadda yadda.
:D

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I think it is fair to mention that it is not all Amish people that run puppy mills. There are a whole lot of other folks involved in the puppies for profit gig. I know that nobody is trying to say it is all Amish either, I just wanted to make it clear for people who might not be regulars here and just lurking. Also not all Amish people believe it is alright to treat animals like that. I know several Amish families that treat their animals like Gold. They have house dogs just like me. There are good and bad in everything, I guess.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Watch ABC Nightline tonight in your local time. They have the story on the puppy mills.

I hope a lot of people are watching where I live. We have a puppy store I would love to see go out of business.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Watch ABC Nightline tonight in your local time. They have the story on the puppy mills.

I hope a lot of people are watching where I live. We have a puppy store I would love to see go out of business.
I am with your Lolas_Dad. I would love to see all puppy stores go out of business. I had a Petland that came to the area a few years back. People protested and fought it. They were not in business for real long. I was not sad to see them go. Now there is a small mom and pop petstore that takes local byb puppies for profit. IT is sickening.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm from Ontario, but drove to Ohio to pick up my second dog from a rescue. She came from a puppy mill. The breeder released her to the rescue. They had to pay $100 to get a bunch of dogs out from there. When the person showed up with the cash the breeder had 8 dogs he was going to give them (because at least they were going to get something for them). Then he said the price is $200. The volunteer replied but I only brought the $100 you said. He took a pug and broke her neck infront of her. How horrifying!

The dogs that they get in were blind in both eyes, tumurs, etc. etc. they were in the worst shape ever. The only reason I think that he gave up a puppy was because she was a crazy chewer, and I bet no one wanted to take her because of that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I live in Ontario, and where I live mennoinites and Amish are all over the place.
To say that "Amish run puppy mills" is really an unfair statement...SOME Amish/mennonites DO run puppy mills, but to make the generalization that they all do is unfair. Yes we have a lot in my town and neigbour in town was featured on W5 for being a puppy mill, they made canadian news...Not mennonites, not Amish, but in fact they were one of what mennonites call "english".

I WILL agree though that for them, animals are not pets, they are not our friends they are all here for a purpose and must earn their keep, be it giving meat, milk, cheese etc etc and yes even money by producing puppies...and lots of them. BUT I have never seen a mennonite or amish mistreat any of their animals. They are fed well, kept clean, touched (petted etc etc), they do have vets to come check out their animals etc etc....They however do not walk, run, jump or play with their dogs. The kids might and most do, but often times, they are just to busy farming etc etc.

I have seen many and I'm sure all of you have seen "english" people that mistreat their animals, run puppy mills, and do not even provide the basics of care.

My point is this.....Amish may have been the focus last night on this news show BUT all walks of life, ways of life, religions, colours race etc etc run puppy mills.....

ETA: After watching this clip, I see that this "esekiel" is NOT a tradiotional mennonite, he is the modern day one. My above post was aimed at traditional mennonites here in my own.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I feel so horrible. My husband bought my puppy from a pet store.:mad: The first thing I told him when he brought him in was that we probably just bought a puppy mill puppy! I would love to see all puppy mills and pet stores go out of business! If it were up to me we would have adopted from the SPCA. My husband is an impulse buyer just like alot of people that buy from petstores. Which is really upsetting. I love my pup and couldnt imagine life with out him but it still bothers me that we may have contributed to a puppy mill or back yard breeder!:eek:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts