Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all!
im a design student currently working on dog leashes. i really need your help in understanding the problems related to dog leashes. could you tell me the breed of dog you have an the leash you use? also please tell me the problems your facing with the leash you use for your dog. i have alot more questions and your replies will really help!
thanks
prachi.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The only problem I have with leashes is finding decent quality ones - made of GOOD leather, with good quality metal fittings. There's not really much designwise that can be improved on a basic 6' leather leash!

Oops - I have collies and a spitz.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Okay...

Well I've used three different leashes on my guy. The first one was a black nylon 5ft. leash. The standard kind you get at Wal-Mart. He's a Manchester Terrier-mix and was 15lbs when I adopted him and is now pushing 18-19lbs. Just the other day I used it for the first time a in long time to take him outside for a quick potty break... Well- He shook himself, and the leash just fell to the ground. I was like- ??? (Seriously confused.)

Here the clasp is weak, not only was made cheaply, but over time it just worn itself out and the spring inside doesn't keep the clasp together.

(That's a big problem/worry for me.)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Problems: Dog pulls on leash. I've been working on this and I've gotten decent improvement.
Leash gets caught between her legs.
When there are multiple dogs, they run around and the leashes get tied up.

I don't know if these are things that you could improve though.

Breed: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel mix

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I use a four foot velvet lined leash with a locking clasp from 2houndsdesign.com. IMO, the best leash on the market. Made of strong materials, yet soft on the hands. The velvet actually repels dirt. The clasp, though, is the best part. It locks, so I don't have to worry about the clasp failing and coming open, catching on something and popping open, etc...a huge relief because I'm usually walking 4+ dogs (greyhounds) at a time. There is also a really nicely designed one from aroundthehounds.com, which I would consider using if they offered the locking clasp mechanism.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I use a 6 foot leather leash. I don't have any issues with it, but my boyfriend thinks leashes should be cylindrical rather than flat and rectangular as the cylindrical shape fits your hand better. There are leashes like that out there and I had one which I also loved, but the handle broke after 5 years, which I think is a reasonable life span for a leash.

I have a Standard poodle.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
There are two major design flaws inherent to the leash.

1. Dogs, despite their owners objections, tend to move when, where, and how they want to. This usually means stepping over the leash, or turning and wrapping its neck in the leash. Flexi-leads help somewhat, but they depend on an attentive owner, break easily, and are nearly useless in controlling an excited or aggressive dog.

2. The clasp is a weak point. Spring-loaded clasps jam from debris like dirt or hair (what are the chances of a dog being near that?). 'Snap' clasps are necessarily thinner and more flexible, making them likely to, well, snap. Plastic turns brittle and will crack over time; metal (even steel) is malleable, and will deform over time. As a result, both will eventually fail - usually without showing any visible signs of distress, and inevitibly at the worst possible moment.

If you manage to solve both problems, Ron Popeil will personally go on the air and sell fifty bajijllion units in the first hour.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use a 5ft nylon leash for my 80lb wolfhound/lab mix. It has a loop close to the clasp that you can grab if you need to keep the dog closer to your side. I love that function - it's a pain to have to wrap the leash around your hand if you need to rein the dog in for some reason. The nylon gets pretty dirty though, and while it comes clean in the washing machine, washing the leash tends to make the clasp rusty and hard to open/close.

I'd like to get a leather leash but I haven't found one with the shorter handle, and I sort of hate the "breaking in" time with leather leashes. They tend to be stiff at first and rip up your hand. I'm sure they sell higher quality ones that are softer, but I haven't seen much variety in the local stores.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would be interested in a soft cotton leash in a nice pattern. I don't like to use our leather leash in the rain and while nylon is waterproof it's very uncomfortable on the hand.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My situation is a little different. I am a stroke victim and have needs that the average dog owner probably doesn't have. I have one leash that I kind of like because it has a small rubber piece at the base of the handle. It gives me a better grip so Nanuq is much less likely to pull the leash out of my hand. I am definately not up for chasing a loose dog. The main problem I have is that that particular leash is too long. It tends to get wrapped around my cane which is not good. It is 6'. I have a 4' that works much better with the cane but has no rubber grip. Retractable leashes have too many problems to list here. Nanuq is a miniature American Eskimo.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I Have Australian Shepherds.

My most hated leash I have is a four foot cylindrical/rope style . it is very strong and the clasp works great but the material and the rope shape really make my hands raw and sore after using it for a while.

I love leather leashes, but finding one that holds up is tough.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I have 2 rope leases from Ellaslead.com. I love them to death overall. I don't like one because it snags easily so it looks odd. The other one has a traffic handle on it which I LOVE!!!! Only issue is that when he is running around without me holding on to the leash he gets tangled in the traffic lead handle.

Getting tangled up is annoying. Your walking your dog, then have to stop and move the leash out from under their leg before it rubs them raw or they trip or strangle themself.

I also would love to own a leather lead, but they have too many weak spots on them it seems.

I have an American Pit Bull Terrier so I need a strong lead. He doesn't pull 99.9% of the time, but when he does, my GOODNESS he pulls.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I use a black, 6 foot, nylon leash that's for "toy breeds" (So it's thinner then a medium or large breed leash) that I got at Walmart for $2-$3. Basil is a 15-20 lb Papillon (mix maybe? He looks pure, but he's a rescue) and he's not a puller or anything, and I've never had a problem with him chewing up the leash, so I was going more for low price then durability. I can't remember, but I think it has a metal clip. I've never had a problem with it before. Basil also has a toy-sized nylon collar from Wal-mart that's very similar to his leash (though it's green camo and not black) and it looks cute and is great for holding his tags, but I'd really love to get him a harness for walks instead of using his collar. He doesn't pull so I don't think that would be a problem, and I've read a lot about Collapsing Trachea in toy breeds so I guess I'm getting a little paranoid. Doesn't help that he has such a pitiful raspy little bark! I'd just rather not risk it, so I'll most likely be buying him a harness soon.

Also, I'd really really like to get a long reatractable leash for Basil once we move to Dallas, because our apartment complex that we'll be living in has BEAUTIFUL walking trails, with fields and lakes and everything. I'd just love to let Basil run free and chase all the ducks and squirrels, however, there's no fence and there are busy streets very nearby, and it's against the rules to be outside with your dog offleash. SO, I figured getting a long retractable leash would be a fitting alternative! =D

·
Registered
209 Posts
I primarily use a 5ft nylon leash and my problem is it's not soft enough. If my dog pulls the leash digs into my hand. Also it's hard to find a nice design (not that that's very important at all) You never see any cool natural, celtic, designs. Another problem I have is finding a nice feeling, well designed 6ft leash. Most leashes are 4ft which is too short for obedience work and much of anything else.

I Have Australian Shepherds.

My most hated leash I have is a four foot cylindrical/rope style . it is very strong and the clasp works great but the material and the rope shape really make my hands raw and sore after using it for a while.

I love leather leashes, but finding one that holds up is tough.
*Keechak, have you looked at the leather leashes at club? They look really nice and thick to me - I plan on buying one in the future to use on Jet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks and a bit more help!

thanks for your replies... they will really help. i have a couple of questions more, if you could answer them..!
1. when your dog pulls/strains at his leash, does it hurt your wrist? if yes, which part of the hand/ wrist does it hurt?
2. what is your feeling towards the concept of a leash? also your dogs reaction at seeing a leash?
thanks again for your participation.!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Re: thanks and a bit more help!

I've got a six foot nylon and a flexi lead. I like the nylon better in that it's lightweight, the clasp is strong on it and it's easy to carry. I don't like the way it gets tangled around the dogs legs all the time because I'm not quick enough to take up the slack when the dog changes directions. I like the flexi lead in that it never gets tangled, but the handle is kind of bulky just by design. I don't like it because it has about a half an inch of give in it at any given time so it's extremely difficult to control an excited dog.

·
Registered
537 Posts
1. Fortunately Nanuq doesn't pull on her leash.

2. I view a leash as a safety device. Something to keep my dog from running off and getting hit by a car or eaten by a mountain lion. Where I live there are a lot of mountain lions, bears etc. A small dog not on a leash would be easy prey.

Nanuq sees her leash as a good thing. When I pick it up she comes running and starts "happy dancing". She doesn't view it as a restraint but as an outing.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Re: thanks and a bit more help!

thanks for your replies... they will really help. i have a couple of questions more, if you could answer them..!
1. when your dog pulls/strains at his leash, does it hurt your wrist? if yes, which part of the hand/ wrist does it hurt?
2. what is your feeling towards the concept of a leash? also your dogs reaction at seeing a leash?
thanks again for your participation.!
1. Doesn't hurt my wrist, just my hand where the leash digs in.
2. I think leashes are nice and convenient, can be cumbersome. My dog's reaction is usually a 'what are we doing?', 'where are we going?" happy reaction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Currently we have two small dogs, a Bichon Frise and a miniature Poodle. When I take them for walks where I can give them a little freedom I use a retractable leash for each one. These generally work well but they do get tangled up sometimes with themselves and the plastic grocery bag I use for picking up poop. It's a little awkward when this happens because I can't keep an eye on each dog for a moment or two.

When we are going some place where there will be lots of people and other dogs I use a regular 6 foot leash on each for great control. Sometimes I would use a single leash with a double lead.

Now however our minature Poodle has developed cataracts and is losing her vision which makes walking her more difficult as she now walks a little behind me and I use my voice to direct her. I've learned to accommodate this and still use the retactable leashes for our daily walks.

To answer your other questions I find the retractables easier to use because I grip each with my hand and can push the button to stop the leash extension. The leashes are a little uncomfortable for me because I have to use them around my wrist. That pulls and hurts my wrist, and it is easier to lose my grip on the leash than with the retractable.

My dogs get very excited when they see a leash because it means they going for a walk or a "car ride" which they also love.

Hopefully this may be of some help to you. If you have any questions please let me know. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts