Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am dying here! I got my new puppy (Macy) 6 weeks ago and she has been SO MUCH more work than I had bargained for. I guess that after having Bella and her being such a walk in the park to train I forgot how hard it can be to train a puppy and Macy is harder than most puppies (I think).

First of all, she will not go in a create. I am a firm beleiver that puppies and dogs should be trained to sleep in a create, even if they don't have to be in one, they should be trained to do so for so many reasons. However, Macy just isn't going to do it. In fact, she is so freaked out by a create that my vet told me not to put her in one anymore. Macy just has terriable seperation anxiety and it just isn't going to happen. So, as you can guess, this has put a damper on house training.

I have trained her to sleep in the utility room at night, but she is still getting up twice a night. When she gets up she wants to play, not go potty. In fact, she has no problem with using the bathroom wherever she is. She will potty on her bed, my bed, rugs, carpet, my car, where ever, she doesn't care. I have never had a dog that would potty in its bed, but Macy will.

She also is a crazy when it comes to getting a bath. She screams as soon as she sees water (or hears it) and yelps the whole time you are washing her. I am very careful not to baby her while she is yelping, but OMW, it is crazy! And then when you try to brush her she acts like she is going to rip your hand off. It is a good thing that she only weighs about 5lbs or she really would be a handful.

Please don't get me wrong, I love her dearly and I would not even consider getting rid of her, I am just tired. I reeally need some advice as to what to do to help her (and me). She is just a little more than I have ever had to deal with and I just don't know what to do.

The good news is that Bella LOVES Macy and Macy loves her just as much. The size difference is funny, but they are crazy about one another. If we can get her through this craziness she is going to be a great pet. She is just bursting with personality and is so cute I could just eat her!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Oh, I can relate to much of this. I'm still working on Clayton's housetraining. (He's five pounds now.) He had an accident-free day yesterday, but today he's gone inside several times. The trouble is that he doesn't stop when you try to interrupt him with loud sounds, or whatever. Once he starts, he's not going to stop. So the cycle repeats. Anyway, I empathize.

Clay also tries to bite the brush when I try to groom him. So I've started using a technique I saw on It's Me or the Dog. I have really small treats that I let him sniff while I brush him with the other hand. This usually lets me get several strokes of the brush in. Then I let him have the treat. Repeat as needed. Eventually, I'll wean away the treats, and I'm able to go longer between treats, but it helps for now.

It can be exhausting, I know. Hang in there, and good luck!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I can totally understand how hard it is to raise a puppy. Lucy was a handful...

Please try to relax and give yourself some alone time. If you are stressed around her it will be more difficult to train. Read up again on all the helpful stickies on "the how to's" with the puppy training, it really helps to refresh your mind.

Try to put the crate open in a room with safe floors and puppy proofed with a excercise pen or gate and let her be in there instead of forcing the crate if it is too traumatic for her. Try to get her used to it that way....

good luck and try to relax, i know it is easier said than done, but things will get better and if you stay calm --she will read your energy and be calmer...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried the treat trick while bathing and brushing, the only problem I am having with that is I really need about 8 arms to hold her still. Besides the yelping, she is also trying to jump, leap, dive, do back flips, jumping jacks (getting the point?) the whole time the water is running and the whole time I am trying to brush her. In fact, it rained here today and her and Bella found some mud to root in so both had to have baths. I am now physically exausted! Not from Bella (although all her hair takes forever to wash) but from Macy Mae jumping around and acting like I was drowning her.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Do you bathe her in the tub or the sink? You might try the sink, if you haven't already, because there's less room for her to jump around.

Does she show any interest at all in the treats?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you bathe her in the tub or the sink? You might try the sink, if you haven't already, because there's less room for her to jump around.

Does she show any interest at all in the treats?
I have tried both and I have tried with running water and with just putting some water in the bottom of the tub or sink and using my hand to cup the water on her (thinking it was the running water that was doing it) but she still acts CRAZY!

She does love treats and I have been trying that for the brushing/grooming part, but in the bath I just don't have enough hands. I really need another set of hands just to hold her in the bath. The funny thing is, I don't think she is scared of the bath, I really just think she is just a brat and doesn't want to be made to anything she doesn't want to. I guess she will have learn just how strong willed I am! I have been trying to bath her at least everyother day, but so far she isn't getting any better.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
How big is she?

I would recommend spreading peanut butter (or cream cheese, which is what I use, since I have a food allergy- it's just more likely to upset stomachs) on the side of the tub. Pop dog in. Dump ONE cup of water on them while they are eating food. Remove them from the peanut butter before they finish it. :p (Mkae sure you put it far enough down on the side that they have to be IN the tub to reach it.)

Return later on in the day. Refresh peanut butter/cheese bait. Allow dog to eat it. Get her slightly damp. Again, remove before she finishes it.

Third session for the day, she will probably hop in the tub on her own. :p If she does, great - do one cup of water and take her out again.

Keep doing this - if you don't soak her, you can do more sessions per day- and ideally, every session should end BEFORE she gets flaily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts