Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys, im new to the site.

Me and my girlfriend just got our first puppy, hes a black Chihuahua/Pug mix and is 8 weeks old. We got him on Saturday and so far i have been doing my best to crate train him correctly. But im not sure which way is actually correct. Every other website i look at says different things and different dos/donts.

Both me and my girlfriend work during the day so he is left alone in his crate for between 5-8 hours during the day. And then about 8 hours at night as well. I know its not ideal but we have no other choice. He has a blanket and his toys in the crate with him, but no food or water. He is hesitant to go in the crate and usually requires me to pick him up and set him in there myself. Though he does stay inside it even if the door is open. I was told to not put his food/water in there or else he would be forced to relieve himself inside the crate since he would be drinking water all day/night.

I have been training him to do his business outside, using treats and praise as rewards. He seems to get it because when let out of his crate he runs to the backdoor. But he still has accidents indoors about twice a day.

I mainly would like to know if i am doing anything wrong? Any guidance/words of wisdom/lectures are welcome. Ive never done this before. Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
leaving your puppy all that time in the crate is a torture. A puppy should be crated 4 hours as a maxim time! Anyway, if he's whining when crated just ignore him, he will get over it. But don't ever uncrate him because he's whining too much.
Housebreak training is the hardest step of owning a puppy. Throwing a party every time he eliminates outside will reduce the accidents in the house. Dogs are really smart but they have a bad memory, so by praising your dog with what likes the most will help him remember that it's a good thing to eliminate outside.

Peace,

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi Keaton, and welcome!! Congratulations on your new furry friend :)

Check out Ian Dunbar's dogstardaily.com for info on how to raise a puppy and key things to focus on during puppyhood. Crate training certainly is one of them and there are some key steps you can take note:

1. Don't ever put your puppy in the crate when it hasn't emptied its bowels (they won't be able to hold it in, even if they want to keep their den clean. They're simply too young).
2. Do crate training games with your dog - throw treats in there, and praise him when he enters voluntarily. Feed meals in the crate, and always treat him when he goes in by himself. Train him to "go to bed" on cue so you no longer need to pick him up.
3. Introduce the crate gradually. I see due to circumstances there may not have been too much time for this, but try to, when you have time, to put him in there briefly for 1 minute, gradually increasing time until he's comfortable in there.
4. Never punish him by putting him in the crate. it's his happy place ^_^
5. Keep the crate very clean. If he soiled it, or dirties it, you want to clean it very well so he becomes accustomed to having a clean den.
6. Never let him out of the crate when he's whining/crying/barking (unless of course you suspect he needs to go, then straight outside he goes!)
7. Don't crate him only when he's alone. He should not make the association between crate and your absence.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Than you for the responses so far. I will be sure to check out the website you mentioned.

I haven't put him in there as punishment and will not do that. He never barks/cries once he is in there he usually just falls asleep. Over the weekends and at night we are able to crate him when we are present so hopefully he will not associate crate with being alone. I've only put him in after he has gone outside and done his thing. The crate games you mentioned is a good idea. And he has yet to soil the crate.

During the day should his food and water be in there with him?

Also another question...its winter and gets down to mid 30s at night after dark. He isn't too fond of goin outside when its that cold, but he will relieve himself most times. Is there a way to help with that?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I think you can feed him breakfast and give him water before he goes in his crate and then give him a little water in the crate with him. It will be really hard for your puppy to hold in their urine if you provide water all day in the crate, but on the other hand, if you don't provide water all day, it can be hazardous to their health (dehydration) - a bit of a Catch 22. Not sure how to answer this one. Some people think it's fine for a dog to go without water all day - others don't. If your place is hot, sunny, dry, it'll have more risk for dehydration. The compromised option, is to put A LITTLE water in the crate - don't give him a barrel to drink. Just a bit, for when he's thirsty.

It gets really cold here too (up in Canada) - so I would suggest putting on boots and a sweater and he should feel better :) The boots will help a lot particularly if there's ice on the ground

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The schedule in the morning is wake him up about 8, let him go outside and do his business, then let him back inside, play with him for a while and let him eat/drink as he pleases. Take him outside again, then put him in his crate for the day.

That website you posted is awesome btw. Has so much good info on training and leaving a dog home alone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts