Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 1/2 year old German Shephard. Not sure how to start this but here it goes.

Well first of all I moved one town to another, the house that I moved into had a flea infestation. When I first moved in I didn't have a clue, guess cause the fleas weren't biting me. So I treated the yard, house, dog and even gave her worm meds. Rip out the carpet now I have bare floors and I vacume the floor everyday. I didn't have this problem at the other house because I kept up the treatment.

The problem is that I notice that my dog is losing weight. She's still eating but about half as much. She's a older dog she's not as active as she once was. She does go to the bathroom alright, she does drink plenty of water. I'm mostly worry about her losing weight.

I took her to the vet's, the vet sure didn't say to much. Unless I come up with around 200 bucks, which I don't have at this time. I guess that's why the vet kept her mouth shut. I was hoping she would tell me what I could feed her that would help her put the weight back on. But she didn't.

So right now I been going to the store and getting chicken, can gravy, rice, along with a few other things. Thinking that she will eat more beside her dog food. Right now she's about 8 to 10 pounds under weight.

What can I give her to help her gain more weight and keep the weight on. I'm about at wits end here. I had her even since she was 8 weeks old. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
You first need to figure out why she is losing weight. Sometimes just feeding a dog more won't help the problem. Go grab a second opinion, 200 sounds a little too much to help figuring out whats wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You first need to figure out why she is losing weight. Sometimes just feeding a dog more won't help the problem. Go grab a second opinion, 200 sounds a little too much to help figuring out whats wrong.
That's what the vet told me, $130 for the blood test, $24 to check the stool and $65 just to walk in the door.

At this time she not even eating half of what she normally did. I just feel like she's starving herself.
Was trying to get more protein in her diet. She was quite healthy until about 2 weeks ago.
I was thinking that the fleas suck the life out of her.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Well, with an elderly dog, you don't really want to take any chances and just see what happens..maybe you could find a vet that could do a payment plan or something like that.

Usually when something stops eating and loses weight, it's for a reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, with an elderly dog, you don't really want to take any chances and just see what happens..maybe you could find a vet that could do a payment plan or something like that.

Usually when something stops eating and loses weight, it's for a reason.
I understand what your saying, I done called 15 vets and none will take a payment plan. But I'm not giving up hope just yet.

I didn't say she stop eating completely. She still eating just not as much.
She still goes outside does her business and barks at the people walking by.

Since I moved here a month ago after a few weeks that's when I notice the fleas were really bad in this house. The people before me had a dog in the house. There were a lot of fleas on her, plus a lot of flea dirt. I'm just wondering if the flea shampoo making her sick. I gave her a bath twice, once every 7 days.

To Add, My sister moved in with me and she had a long hair cat. The cat never went outside and never had flea's. Well when she moved in with me in a span of 2 weeks we notice the cat wasn't acting right. Needless to say the cat died. The cat was covered with fleas that's how bad it was.

I'm thinking the fleas made my dog sick. She was quite healthy before I moved here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
She's eating the same stuff she's been eating since she was 10 weeks old. Pedigree dry food, plus she gets dog biskets, chew bones, table food like chicken, beef, and liver, plus Vitamins.

Since the day is over, just so happen that today she did manage to eat the whole can of dog food Alpo, then I gave her a can of beef stew, she hasn't touch her dry food. She ate 8 med size biskets, 10 chicken nuggest and had her vitamins. Today wasn't to bad.

Maybe she's getting back to normal. Just maybe she'll pick up the weight that she lost. At least I'm hoping she does. All I know is that when she went to the vet in mid April she was healthy and she was at the weight she should have been. She didn't have worms and didn't have heartworms or nothing else.

I move to a different rental house and all this in a short time period. I'm really thinking it's from the fleas, they say dogs can get tapeworms, if they do they can lose weight. So I did give her meds for that like I said before, it was a 3 day treatment.

I have been researching other possible causes, but there's really no symptoms that fits. Her symptoms eating as much and losing weight but she's going to the bathroom alright, she's not vomitting, she's drinking plenty of water, for about 2 weeks she wasn't eating as much. Now she looks boney.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Try switching (gradually ) to a quality dog food like Taste of the Wild. I had a dog that I couldn't put weight on for about 6 yrs feeding Purina One. I switched to Taste of the Wild (prairie formula) and she has really filled out, and no longer itches.

Pedigree isn't a very high quality food, and contains lots of fillers. Alpo is also rated at the lowest level.

here's a dog food analysis site that may help you.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Here is what it says about Pedigree-
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=3&cat=7

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
OK, so you've already tested for worms, dog is still losing weight, next test is to test for metabolic disorders such as diabetes, hyperactive thyroid, and last, cancer. I hate even bringing up the C word, but consider it a real possibility if this continues.

Most of all, QUIT giving her the junk people food. If you wish to feed her human food, be sure it's a HEALTHY diet, not chicken nuggets.

are the fleas under control now? If not I do have some suggestions for getting them gone on a permanent basis from the house and the yard.

Spray yard with Nematodes (from any garden specialty store) these are a biological attack on fleas kinda like lady bugs to control aphids.

treat your house with borax, sprinkle it down, leave fora while and sweep up. it will get int othe cracksand crannies where flea larvea and eggs tend to hide and dry them up up, whick kills them. It's safe to leave down and will not hurt any of the animals. Be sure to use it in any upholstery you can't wash.

The most effective flea shampoo I've found is DAWN DISH SOAP... the plain blue stuff. shampoo the dog and leave on for five minutes, then use a flea comb to get the remaining fleas out of hte coat. It will NOT hurt your animals. If you need something stronger, hit the nursery (garden) stores again and find some PURE neem oil, 2Tablespoons per gallon of water witha little dish soap thrown in to keep it mixed and use it as a dip. it's perfectly safe and will also kill demodex mites, bacterial infections and fungal infections. You can dump the remainder in the yard and it acts as a great natural insecticide for your plants.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the fleas are under control at least for now. I have already treated the yard twice and house twice in one month. I been vacuming the floor for the pass two week, everyday. I don't have carpet anymore just hardwood floors. I ripped the carpet out. Though it would make it easyier to control. I been using a flea comb to check her everyday. I don't want her going through this again.

I'll try the borax, there's a home depot that's only a few blocks away. Wish I read about the Dawn dish soap, before I gave her a flea bath with that other stuff. I just never had a problem this server until I moved here. When I lost my job 2 months ago money go a little short. Needless to say she wasn't protected again fleas for about 2 months.

She has never been sick before this, she always been healthy at these that's what the vet would tell me on each visit. As far as her eating, one day she will eat good, then the next day hardly anything. It was the vet ideal to feed her somethings from the table. Guess he's a quack ha.

My sister did by some of that expensive dog food that I found on the web site. Now she what I'll do if she won't eat it, guess I'll give it to the animal shelter. And try another kind.

You can give your dog the best food but if they don't eat it then what?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
You can get borax at the grocery store in the laundry aisle, look for "20 Mule Team" brand

·
Registered
823 Posts
I know money is tight, but could you save up and get some bloodwork done? Many older dogs start to have problems and only bloodwork can tell you exactly what is going on. Maybe another vet will have a cheaper office call charge? I don't know where you live, but $65 is a bit steep in my area. maybe if you explain your situation someone may be able to cut you a break and not charge for the fecal or something. I know my vet is usually very willing to work with people and get the animals what they need. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts