Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently got a puppy he’s anywhere from 10 to 12 wks old and he is peeing beside where he eats I’m not sure why or what’s going on he goes outside when he should like in the mornings and after meals someone please tell me something

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hes young and as yet has not learned or isnt capable of holding his urine.
So its up to you to look for the cue, does he sniff the spot or turn in circles , thats the time to put him outside and praise when he does his toilet outside..
On waking , after play, at meals, after a drink, before bed, middle of the night, these are all times you need to be taking him outside. (about every 2 hours to start) Its hard in the beginning but with practice he will get there.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
He is a baby puppy and nowhere near house trained, so this behavior is completely normal. At this age, he should be getting potty breaks every 15-30 minutes when he is up and active, and immediately after eating or drinking. I wouldn't even wait for him to act like he has to go. Take him before he REALLY has to go. The time between a puppy realizing they have to pee and the moment they are peeing is seconds apart. Hours between potty breaks is likely pushing it at this age, but as he gets older he will get a larger bladder and get better at holding it.

Also, if you're not already, you need to TAKE the puppy outside, meaning you physically go out there with him to watch him potty and reward him for going outside. At this age you cannot simply open the door and expect him to potty. I mean, he likely will potty, but he's not learning that outside is the place to go, and inside is not a good place to potty.

Remember, your puppy is not physically or mentally capable of holding their waste or giving you much of a warning that they have to potty. You have seconds, that's why you need to provide frequent potty breaks and heavily reward for going outside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts