Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasnt sure where to post this at but i figured i might get a few more responses in this area. I have a mid aged akita / malamute mix that is very friendly to people and pretty much anything else. There is one problem that he has. He is COMPLETELY skiddish, but not the normal kind of skiddish. He doesnt run from people, or other dogs, but when objects move around him he completely freaks out, and jumps to get away. This is very bad for him because in the places he enjoys most have hard wood floors, and slipping on hard wood floors does not help a dog with hip problems. For example. Just tonight i was re arranging something in my room and he was about 5 feet away from me. I went to move a small box accross the floor and he tried to jump up and slipped back down. Now note that i did not kick the box harshly or make a lot of noise, i just gently moved the box over. He seems to always get nervous and try to run away when things (inadimate) objects shift around him. I have so much patience with this dog because he is one of the best dogs ive owned in being friendly and non skiddish around living things, but this problem is getting somewhat annoying because i do not want him hurting himself trying to run away from a box or basket moving half way accross the room. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Poor kid. Slippery floors are hard enough on the large breeds without JUMPINGfrom fear..

I would work on desensitizing him to movement of objects. Does he have a fave treat? Like chicken breast of hotdogs? If so cut up a LOT LOT LOT of them into tiny pieces and use it to feed him one after another while someone (in another room at first) moves something a bit. If he wont' take the food you are too close to the feared thing. As soon as the "moving" of the item stops the food stops. Repeat.

Check out www.fearfuldogs.com for info on classical conditioning, thresholds and how to overcome fears in a humane and positive way. It is not an overnight cure but it will help.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh, poor boy. This is one case where I would suggest the Pushing exercise. It has helped build confidence in my skittish girl and helped us a lot. Also Tug of War.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
In addition to working on desensitizing him, you might want to get an area rug for your room or wherever you will be training him so that he doesn't slip during the exercises.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts