Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here in Austin,TX everyone is very dog friendly. You can take your dog out to eat with you and shopping with you.. as long as they are leashed and behaved of course..
Shiner finally got all of the puppy shots and what not.. so now I want to start socializing him with people and other dogs more. My fiance went out of town today and I was thinking about taking Shiner out tomorrow. There's a place called Barton Springs here..
http://www.texasoutside.com/bartonpool.htm

A lot of my fellow dog enthusiast friends say they always take their dogs here for a refreshing swim in this 115 degree weather.
Is this a good idea for a first outing?
I don't know if he likes swimming yet, but I hear it's good exercise (another reason I want to bring him out).

If I bring him it will be early morning so it's not too hot.

Any opinions/objections/tips.. are highly appreciated.

·
Registered
284 Posts
How old is your dog? I'd recommend if you have a pool of your own or a friend has one and is OK with it, teaching the dog to swim first and get him comfy with the water.

What sort of dog do you have?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Barton Springs is going to be PACKED this time of year, especially on a weekend. It's also not got a great entry for a first swim experience - the steps are pretty minimal and steep. Add that to the temperature (68 F year round, for the non-Texans here :p), and it's not the most welcoming first-swim experience. I'd give it a miss, to be honest, at least for now.

ETA: Is BS actually dog-friendly? Not "No sign saying I COULDN'T" but actually ALLOW dogs? I've swum there at least once a summer until the last year or two and I can't remember ever seeing a dog there, unlike Comal & the parks in new braunfels.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the advice. I think we will sit this one out and he can play in his kiddie pool today. I have heard from many people that they love taking their dogs there.. but Shiner is going to have to wait till he's older.. I'll research some more and I think the pool idea is a good one.
Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts