Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the AM and before bed, I need her to empty her bladder w/o a walk.

She will hold it for 24 hours before she will concede to this.

I read today to issue the command 'go potty' when she is peeing, and then treating, but she goes 15 times on a 20 minute walk - it seems like I would just be reinforcing holding her pee to spread out instead of letting it go.

Or at most she will learn to pee 'just a little' those times we are not walking to get her treat.:confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why? x10 limit.

I am not able to take her for a 30 minute walk 5 times a day.

A 20-30 minute walk is the only time she will empty her bladder.

She has had two UTI's and I feel it may be related to this.

Plus, it must be uncomfortable for her.

For a while, she seemed to understand at night to let it go before bed but she has gone back to being stubborn.

I am especially not walking that long before bed - it interferes with me winding down to sleep, and it causes her to drink a bunch of water that she then has to hold all night!

I used to take her for an evening walk, and then later after she saw me bathe and change she seemed to understand this meant bed-time and go pee right outside!

I need that habit back.:)

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I was wondering if a walk to the end of the driveway to the sidewalk patch of grass would be far enough? Not necessarily a full on walk. Some dogs need a little movement to eliminate. Maybe your dog is one of them.

Seriously, it's ok if you take your dog for a short walk in your evening robe and slippers. No one will laugh. :p

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think you need to compromise...she wants to walk to pee, and really other than messing up your night there is nothing wriong with that. When you took her you made a promise to her that you would be patient, kind, loving and do whatever it takes to keep her healthy, since you cannot reason with her, or explain what you need than you need to pretty much suck it up...sorry if that sounds mean, even if owning a dog interferes with your life, thats really your problem not hers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think you need to compromise...she wants to walk to pee, and really other than messing up your night there is nothing wriong with that. When you took her you made a promise to her that you would be patient, kind, loving and do whatever it takes to keep her healthy, since you cannot reason with her, or explain what you need than you need to pretty much suck it up...sorry if that sounds mean, even if owning a dog interferes with your life, thats really your problem not hers.
It is hot here (Texas). A long enough walk to empty her bladder will make her thirsty enough to fill it up again!

The evening walk is timed so that she can eliminate the water she drinks after before being shut in for the night.

I was wondering if a walk to the end of the driveway to the sidewalk patch of grass would be far enough? Not necessarily a full on walk. Some dogs need a little movement to eliminate. Maybe your dog is one of them.

Seriously, it's ok if you take your dog for a short walk in your evening robe and slippers. No one will laugh. :p
I tried that - something she consented to for a while but is now holding out for a long walk.

I got no sleep for a week when she had a UTI. I didn't want her to want to go or *try* and not be allowed.

If she continues to hold onto her urine she is inviting more infections, imo.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Instead of giving her another dish of water at night after that final walk, why not offer some icecubes instead? Both my dogs love their cubes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Instead of giving her another dish of water at night after that final walk, why not offer some icecubes instead? Both my dogs love their cubes.

1) Because she is dehydrated after a long walk and needs the water.

2) I am absolutely not going for a long walk at night.

We should not have to go 30 minutes several times a day.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It can be harmfull for a dog to drink alot of water after a good walk, that's why some owners preffer to give the dogs two ice cubes instead of have the dog drink bucketloads of water.

Uh... well, your dog, sooner or later will have to pee, even inside your house:p

I just thought of something.. you could um, collect some of her pee, and pour it in a spot you'd like her to pee on, dogs usually pee on the same place they have pee'd before because their scent stays there, so maybe you can use that to your advantage.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
OK, lets start with just a little more info first...
What kind of dog do you have?
How old is your dog?
Does she currently have a clean bill of health from the vet?

FYI, it's OK to just let her have a small amount of water so she won't have such a full bladder before bed.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
We should not have to go 30 minutes several times a day.
If the dog REQUIRES it, then yes, you SHOULD have to go out 30 minutes several times a day. The majority of people on here walk their dogs for HOURS a couple times a day. Unless you have a medical condition that prevents you from taking your dog out the number of times it requires, than you're being extremely selfish and I'm not sure if owning a dog is right for you if you cannot be more flexible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It can be harmfull for a dog to drink alot of water after a good walk, that's why owners preffer to give the dogs two ice cubes instead of have the dog drink bucketloads of water.

Uh... well, your dog, sooner or later will have to pee, even inside your house:p

I just thought of something.. you could um, collect some of her pee, and pour it in a spot you'd like her to pee on, dogs usually pee on the same place they have pee'd before because their scent stays there, so maybe you can use that to your advantage.
She has held it 36 hours before. Obviously I didn't intend that - I know from when she had surgery - she peed for several minutes when she got home - they provided for indoor peeing which she will not do.

She doesn't want to pee in the same spot either - she is like a male dog - likes to spread her scent out all over. That's the problem!

Used to, she got one walk long enough to satisfy that urge, a couple of short ones to relieve some more, and then like I mentioned she'd empty at night and in the AM.

If the dog REQUIRES it, then yes, you SHOULD have to go out 30 minutes several times a day. The majority of people on here walk their dogs for HOURS a couple times a day. Unless you have a medical condition that prevents you from taking your dog out the number of times it requires, than you're being extremely selfish and I'm not sure if owning a dog is right for you if you cannot be more flexible.
I hate this part of pet forums - gimme a break!

One long walk, two short ones, and unlimited times to go down to a grassy area is quite sufficient.

There are ways to teach a dog to go on command - I was looking for advice on my particular situation regarding this.

Many people teach their dogs this for when they are on a time constraint and don't want to leave the dog shut in with a full bladder, or it's the middle of the night, freezing and raining (no bother to a part Akita, lol).

I guess you'd get up at Midnight and again at 3:AM and go for a mile-long hike in a blizzard everyday for the rest of your life to satisfy the DESIRE (not need) of a dog to spread his scent at that time and everyone else doesn't deserve to have a dog?:cool:

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you act this way you won't get any help, so i recommend you chill out.

Give us more information on your dog, the operation might have gone wrong with your dog.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, lets start with just a little more info first...
What kind of dog do you have?
How old is your dog?
Does she currently have a clean bill of health from the vet?

FYI, it's OK to just let her have a small amount of water so she won't have such a full bladder before bed.
There is no issue other than the dog wants to tinkle little bits in 50 different places and will hold her pee as long as it takes until she gets that opportunity.

It's a behavioral issue. I know you are trying to help - she had two UTIs (possible related to this) and as a result had blood work done. She is healthy. We've battled this off and on for the whole time I've had her.

I think it may be the weather - she was more willing when it was cold, but now with all the critters out and everything else, she wants to be running around all the time.

I swear she knows I want her to pee and uses it as leverage to go traveling!

Akita/Shepherd/Shar-pei (spelling?)

That is the best guess of vets and groomers - she is a pound puppy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wonder if maybe dog is smarter than you think? How much exercise does she get other than the walking? How much time do you spend, playing with her outside and inside? If you are just walking her clearly she is needing more than just walks, but for her they'll do if she has no other choice. So perhaps by not peeing when you think she should she is holding out for that walk, some interaction and some good healthy exercise.

I promise you that she will not dehyrdate in a few hrs or even overnight as long as she has had good access to water all day long, ice cubes will be fine, they give them some water and some stimulation, nothing is more fun for my 2 than chasing icecubes around either the floor or their dish. I say it again, you CANNOT reason with a dog, they don't give a flying fig if your tired or if your sleep pattern is tested, they need their basics need met and yes that includes walking. I hear you say you don't want her to have another UTI, but if you are unwilling to help out than she will and it will be your fault for being less attentive and caring towards her needs. Dogs walk, they enjoy them, they love to stop and smell every pole, every hydrant...everything, its just what they do. they need that exercise, they need that interaction with you, it's not on a ''when it's convient for me" basis all the time.

if you are serious that you are unwilling to walk her b/c it screws up your down time, than maybe you can either pay someone to walk her for you or rehome the dog to someone else who will pay attention the needs and desires. Walking is a basic part of a dogs life. It just is, no excuses as to why you can't do it, you promised her when you took her you would do everything you could to make her a happy girl. We walk in the rain, the snow, the heat etc etc.....and yes we have even been known to walk theblock in our jammies!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If you act this way you won't get any help, so i recommend you chill out.

Give us more information on your dog, the operation might have gone wrong with your dog.

Maybe you should say that to the person who says I'm too selfish to have a dog if I don't walk her for hours every day?

I'm pretty sure she did this before the operation (spaying) which was years ago.

It's clear to me it's a behavioral thing - my neighbor's dog even picked up the habit from her and now drives her assistant crazy with it!

There is nothing medical in needing to pee little bits all over the complex (I live in a condo).

In the winter, she will empty her bladder before bed and when I first get up right at the bottom of the stairs, and then do her scent-spreading on walks.

In the Spring/summer, she refuses.

What is your set up at home?..would it help to walk her around the yard on a leash?
Condo. I've tried going around the building but when she is really stubborn, it doesn't work.

Well have you consulted a Behaviourist??
Vets are just vets, and groomers are just groomers.
Sorry - I meant on her breed. She is a pound-pup so it has to be guessed at.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Maybe you should say that to the person who says I'm too selfish to have a dog if I don't walk her for hours every day?

I'm pretty sure she did this before the operation (spaying) which was years ago.

It's clear to me it's a behavioral thing - my neighbor's dog even picked up the habit from her and now drives her assistant crazy with it!

There is nothing medical in needing to pee little bits all over the complex (I live in a condo).

In the winter, she will empty her bladder before bed and when I first get up right at the bottom of the stairs, and then do her scent-spreading on walks.

How old is your dog...and how long has this been going on?.....I can understand why its a seasonal issue....who wants to pee out in the cold....I know I like to spend more time outside when the weather is nice:D

how many times a day do you want her to go....what would be your preferred schedule?

·
Registered
750 Posts

Condo. I've tried going around the building but when she is really stubborn, it doesn't work.
THAT person, is a moderator,and you better not piss the mods.
And i agree with him, you are too selfish to spend 30 minutes you probably spend laying on the couch watching T.V. rather than walking your dog daily.

This means that.. if you do solve the problem you will never walk your dog again?

You sound like you know alot about dogs.. so why not go away and try to fix it yourself instead of listening to people who actually know how to treat dogs?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts