Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Donatello's Blog, explains the issues I'm facing with Donatello when it comes to training or working with him.

To cut a long story short: He doesn't like being taught new tricks or new behaviors in the house, unless they're simple and don't require hands-on.

How can I help calm him down and help him understand that training him in the home is fun and comfortable? He's calm in the house, he sleeps comfortable on the sofa and in bed with me, he eats comfortably in my room, he willingly follows me to bed each night...

He doesn't play in the house, at all, he only plays with toys at the park... He's more comfortable at the park.

Is there anything I can do?

Oh, and he's not food-motivated. (He is sometimes, but if he's scared or fearful about what we're doing he refuses the food...)

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Have you tried adding an all natural anti-anxiety thing to his diet? I like Rescue Remedy http://www.rescueremedy.com/ It might help him calm down some. I'd add 3 or 4 drops to his water every time you refill it and after 2 or 3 days you should see him relax a bit. This should allow you to start working with him on his confidence.

Also have you had a blood work up done just to make sure that it isn't medical?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, none of his problems are medical. It's all mental.

He's more confident and comfortable when outside or at a park. When I first got him, he refused to eat inside, he'd go days without eating just so he could eat outside. I slowly started working with him, sitting beside him when he ate, to feeding him from my hand. It's been since Feb. since he's wanted to eat outside. He's a lot more comfortable then what he was, but I've got to nip this training thing. It's really hindering him and me.

I didn't think those medications would work... I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Check out the Bach Flowe sit itself. There are many options besides Rescue Remedy (which I would not be without, btw) that might work.

One thing to do is catch him in the act of doing behaviors you like in the house and as he's completing the behavior give the associated command and praise him. That way he's not under the pressure of a formal training session. I know this won't work for everything but it'll be a start for him.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ummm..rescue remedy works great actually just because something is natural or holistic does not mean it will not work the same or better then a prescription medication.I use rescue on my puppies after we do dew-claws and when they are stressed like after a hard delivery.I actually have a holistic treatment for demodex mange that works better then ivemec or mitaban dips :)..

Oh another option might be this I know quite a few that use this on the 4th to bring there dogs to the fireworks and participate in parades with there pets (it's a huge parade and very noisey). AND it's on sale :)..on a side note I have used this myself to sleep
https://n3prod.n3inc.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?section=10021&item=16&prod=wwsSCBqHkUvp3CX0LOprzFGt:S&prod_pses=prod=wwsSCBqHkUvp3CX0LOprzFGt%3AS~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts