Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay the GSD we rescued back in September, she is a VERY sweet loving dog, but I guess her previous owners never were to social with her and never took her around other animals because she is HORRIBLE at barking at ANYTHING that walks through our door and DONT get me started at how bad she is at the vets office.

We took her to the vet yesterday for her eye and I kid you not, every animal in that vet was so quiet and peaceful I was embarrased because Heidi was the only dog in the place barking at EVERY animal and human that walked in and sat down. I was so embarrased by this.

Now I am nowhere near getting rid of her because I love her so much but I want to train her that barking at people and animals is NOT okay. She is 6 years of age and a little hard to train, even if you tell her to calm down or anything when someone is in the house as soon as they get up shes at their feet barking at them.

I dont want to really go the route of a bark collar but I really think it would be the best option for her. So do you think it would be okay going that route? I myself think its kind of in-humane, but the barking is unbearable and embarrasing especially when trying to take her to public places.

I know there are other options like training her to stop, but that takes alot of patience and time, and obedience classes, but afaik we dont have any near us who train dogs :(.

Im at my wits end but I want to stop her excessive annoying barking.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
when alone, train her th watch me command....take a treat, touch by your eye and say "watch me/look/whatever cue" and as soon as she makes eye contact, reward w/ the treat....do this till she is 100% reliable and watching your face readily....then add a person into it...."watch me", person steps into view at a distance she is comfortable w/, treat..."watch me", person moves closer, treat.....keep repeating....if she "breaks" from concentration, step back a bit.....don't move on to any closer step until she is not paying attention to the person at each distance, however.....

the bark collar could help if you implement all training while using it...it can, at least, get her quiet, at which point you can be rewarding the quiet behavior....however, i really don't care for the bark/shock collars much

oh, and when ever you are around people, have TONS of treats so that you can work it constantly (i realize you can't keep her "locked away" till the training time is complete)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Your dog has probabloy been allowed to be reactive. The suggestions above are good.

Here is what I would try. Teach her to speak on command. When she will speak on command, then teach her quiet. do this at home. Rev her up or do hat ever to get her to look at you and bark. and then allow her to associate the bark with a command. When she stops barking say, "Quiet" and reward her.

These dogs can often find barking self rewarding. Barking without hackles up with out threat beyind the noise is usually just that... barking because they LIKE IT. I do not know the demeanor of your dog when she is barking. If it is not one of threat, then she is barking because she likes to bark.

OTOH if she is barking and has hackles raised and the rest, then she is barking out of fear which is common in this breed because people do not socialize these dogs well enough.

So, I would handle this two ways. Teach your dog to bark on command and teach her to quiet on command. Also take her out.. if she barks in the car you may need to use black out curtains in the vehicle so she cannot see out. When she is calm, open the curtains a little bit. If she reacts and baks, immediately close her view down again.

Out on walks etc. do as suggest. The minu8te she barks, turn and wal away. When you get to a distance where she is comfortable, and attentive to YOU, reward her.

Teaching her to give you attention on command helps too. This was explained above in the Watch command. I use "pay attention" but the words matter little.

My GSD is reactive but she is silent. I often lose her attention to the environment.

A book you might want to look at (it has a DVD too) is Brenda Alloff's "Get Connected With Your Dog"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts