Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my sons little dog got out of the fence and was stolen. (my son is 5)
we went to the pound and he got a new dog (paper works says hes a Lab retriever)
His name is Shandow and hes about 1yr old (neutered). My son picked him out of all the puppies and other dogs in the pound and Shadow fallows my son everywhere.

ok Now here is where I need help we have our family Dog Hannah who is America White Shepard and is 2yrs old.

We introduced them the proper way and everything was fine. the only thing is that we have to feed them in separate areas. Well all of a sudden Shadow our new pup is getting very aggressive Toward Hannah if she comes near us and being very protective.
If she gets to close he will attack her. Hannah does defend herself of course but its also not hard to brake them up either.

When we aren't outside he is perfectly fine. I have until Friday 9/12/14 to get him trained or I will be taking him back to the pound.

I need help, training tips, advice, its really going to be heart breaking if I have to send him back to the pound.
my Husband thinks he may have pit bull in him.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Welcome to Dog Forums! You'll get great advice from the knowledgeable folks here.

How exactly did you introduce the dogs? There are so many ideas on "the proper way" that it will help if you explain what you did. Can you also describe what Shadow does when Hannah gets close to you? What else is going on, is there anything nearby? What do you do when that happens?

You're not going to complete train the dog by Friday. Doesn't matter if you're the top dog trainer in the world, it's not going to happen in that short a time. It will take your new dog a few weeks to just settle in.

Shadow could be resource guarding you or another item like nearby food or a toy. He could be wary of Hannah when in a confined area. It could be something else entirely. It's hard to say without seeing the interaction. Since you have two large dogs and a child, I'd strongly recommend hiring a qualified, very experience trainer or a qualified behaviorist. Look for someone who understands learning theory, uses force-free methods, and does not talk about needing to be pack leader or gain alpha status.

Here are some good places to look: Pet Professional Guild, Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers, Directory of Certified Applied Animal Behaviorists, International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants.

Here's a good article on growling: Why Growling is Good, and one on resource guarding: Resource Guarding: Treatment and Prevention.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your Questions My Answers:

How exactly did you introduce the dogs? Both Dogs on Leashes let them sniff each other, took them both for a walk with each other, with positive Reinforcement through out. All went well.
Can you also describe what Shadow does when Hannah gets close to you? He gets in between me and Hannah and his hair stands up on his back and he has a deep growl and stare.
What else is going on, is there anything nearby? No food or toys nearby just me and my son I have 2 acres
What do you do when that happens? when they started to attack each other I told them both no Break them up which they don't fight me on, I try positive Reinforcements such as petting and telling him its ok to sit and then I pet Hannah and tell her its ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts