Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,
For the past 2 days, my 8 month old Basset Hound has been whining a lot for the past 2 days. And out of nowhere he started limping. Maybe the limping is from the damaged toenail on his front left foot. Some of the quick is exposed. Also he has lost apetite, but i add the food with water, sometimes he doesn't eat it. Also, he's on a medication that treats giardia given by the people from VIP Pets. He's been whining a lot, what could be the cause?

Thanks.

Could it be Panosteitis? I read about it, and it seems like some of the symptoms matches... I'm not really sure..

·
Registered
29 Posts
well the limping probably has to do with the damaged toenail. as far as the not eating and such you should probably go to a vet. it sounds a little worrying. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the limping probably has to do with the damaged toenail. as far as the not eating and such you should probably go to a vet. it sounds a little worrying. :(

Thanks, now my dog actually started eating out of nowhere(I'm really happy about that). Also, the quick wasn't bleeding, it was just exposed on the bottom of the nail, so i guess when he puts pressure on it, it hurts for him. Then, he stopped whimpering(finally, it was actually annoying, but it's ok) today, when I got home from school.

·
Registered
29 Posts
well i'm glad to hear that he is eating. that means things are getting better! as for the toe, it will just have to heal. and i'm glad the whimpering stopped. that can get rather annoying. lol. :) best of luck with him! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My dog started whimpering again a lot!
I don't think it's because of the nail, it's probably something else. I pushed on the back of his left carpus(like the knees), he starts crying. Idk what to do right now :(
Could it be just pano or what?
What are your recommendations?
Also, he stopped eating again unless i put soup to moisten the food, but he would eat treats by itself.

Thanks..

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I think it's time to take him to the vet.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'd get him to a vet asap.

What you are describing could be a lot of things. Could be pano, could be elbow dysplasia, could be an acute case of lyme disease, could be a bone chip, etc etc... Basically what I'm saying is that the symptoms are vague and he needs to be seen by a vet to help determine what is really going on.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Have YOU ever lost a nail? It hurts like hell man. Geez even a hangnail hurts. Whining is a signal he's in discomfort and you find it annoying? Honestly, the fact that you posted here instead of treating your dog's broken nail ticks me off, have a heart kid...Your dog is in pain.

It could be as simple as an infection in the torn and damaged toenail (that is inflamed and causing pain farther up the leg) but it needs to be seen, infection can be just as dangerous as anything else.

As to what we think you should spend. AS much as you have to. I know that's not a great answer but if your vet is good and trustworthy he will do what is most noninvasive to start and move on from there. Ask the vet what his recommendations are, why he recommends one or the other and how much it will cost and then decide.

Fear of spending money at the vet often causes people to wait instead of getting an appt if something doesn't "seem " serious..the problem of course is that with animals, they are exceptionally good at hiding illness and injury..if he's been whining IT HURTS..a LOT. Get it checked.

If it is due to the torn nail (holy OUCH) ask the vet what you could do in the future for first aid, have him show you how to trim or file your dogs nails to reduce the risk of tearing to prevent this from occurring again as much as possible.

Get yourself a good dog first aid manual for future events. This will help you assess what is urgent, what can wait, and what simply requires a bit of home care. I used to work at a vet so I do all my own doggy first aid and assessment, but if I have any inkling that my dog may be sick or injured beyond a minor wound I head off to see Dr. U. I'm not rich and it's hard, but it's better than letting something get worse and then having it cost more not to mention the suffering of the pet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you should get that pup to the vet asap!!! and as far as the money, your puppy is like a child, would you put a limit on how much you would spend on your childs health? or your own for that matter? a good vet will take care of your pup and do what is necessary. they won't throw in uneeded costs. but get him there ASAP!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts