Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to get a puppy. An Argentine Dogo. This is my first time selecting a pure bred and I am not sure what to look for. I hear talk about top line, bone structure, bite, etc, but have no idea how to identify what is good or bad. I know many characteristics are breed specific, but I was hoping if I posted up some pics, you guys could help me picking out some features, and any thing you see good or bad on this puppy. He is 7 weeks in these pictures.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Unless you're looking for a show prospect you should be more worried about personality, IMO (I'm assuming that the parents are titled and health tested, otherwise you should worry about health).

That being said, I let my breeder pick my puppy for me. I told her about my lifestyle and want I wanted in a dog and she picked the puppy that she thought would fit me best. Since she spent 9 straight weeks with the puppies she was a better judge at which puppy would be best for me than I could have ever been.

As for your original question, I"m not a judge of Argentine Dogos but there is nothing that really sticks out from these pictures.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both parents are titled and health tested. I did tell the breeder my plans. Mostly hiking and maybe some pulling later on. This is who she came up with. I was just looking for opinions on how this dog looked and if anyone noticed anything out of the ordinary. I am glad you say he looked pretty normal. I just wasn't sure if there were physical things I should be looking out for that I just wouldn't notice, as this is my first time picking out a puppy. It is also my first time picking out a puppy from a breed I have just learned about in the last few months.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, ok. Is there anything I should be looking for physically when I pick out a puppy? Legs, bones, head? Anything I should keep an eye out for. Just my first time selecting a puppy from a breeder and am looking to keep an eye out for and physical structure stuff. I will look for personality and behaviour for sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh. OFA 'Good' hips, normal elbows, patellas and cardiac, eyes cerf clear and are BAER tested full hearing for the father and the mother had OFA Normal elbows, patellas, cardiac, BAER tested full hearing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts