Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and joined because I don't know what to do.. I have a 5 year old American Bulldog I have had since 6 weeks old. He is my best friend, and I am afraid of losing him because he is not adjusting to the new rules. His whole life he has lived with just me. We recently moved in with my girlfriend and her two children. He is great with the kids but has been acting out. He constantly begs and steals the kids food. He is not aggressive about it, but this still poses a huge problem. He keeps getting into the garbage. And lately he has began peeing inside the house as an act of defiance, when this has never been an issue before. My girlfriend is pregnant, and is having a hard time with all of his antics. I'm working 50+ hours a week. Also, to make things harder we live in an apartment with no yard. I take him to the baseball field to run around and spend energy. But that is limited.

So that's my current situation. I can be more specific on details if you guys ask. What I need is to know what tricks and training techniques will resolve these issues.
I really need help! I don't want to lose him!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
He's not peeing out of defiance. He's peeing either because he has a UTI or because he can't hold it or because the move disrupted his house training routine. Any time there is a major life change, I recommend going back to house training basics because most dogs learn not to soil THEIR home and they don't learn 'don't pee inside any houses'. Dogs don't generalize like people do.

I would add more structure to his life and keep him in a different room, in a crate, baby gated, etc... When people are eating. Give him his own stuffed Kong or other treat during those times so he learns that human meal times means he settles down and gets his own food. Put the garbage under a cabinet or get one with a lid. If time is an issue, see if you can hire a dog walker to let him out or take him on a short walk in the middle of the day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts