Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a puppy that I'm trying to house break. We got her older than we would have liked (she's 12 weeks) and I got her yesterday. I was trying to teach her to stay in her crate with the door open and take her out every hour to pee. She seemed to be learning it until later this afternoon. When she out and out refused to go to her crate. She would just sit down and look at me. Is she trying to test me and see if im serious when Im telling her what to do?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
NO .... I really feel she is not trying to test you ... she is a baby. She is not crate trained yet. :) Just keep making her crate a safe and fun place. It takes time. It doesn't happen over night. (Pups also have set backs during the potty training process just like potty training a toddler.)

I think she is the perfect age for training to start. :) I always give my pup food and treats and water and a nice place to sleep in the crate ... this way they do not associate it with anything but good stuff. :) Just be sure not to scold her or she will associate it with bad things and never like the crate.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
NO .... I really feel she is not trying to test you ... she is a baby. She is not crate trained yet. :) Just keep making her crate a safe and fun place. It takes time. It doesn't happen over night. (Pups also have set backs during the potty training process just like potty training a toddler.)

I think she is the perfect age for training to start. :) I always give my pup food and treats and water and a nice place to sleep in the crate ... this way they do not associate it with anything but good stuff. :) Just be sure not to scold her or she will associate it with bad things and never like the crate.
I agree with this.

I got my boy at 13 weeks and crate training nor potty training were an issue. I do have one question though, do you expect her to be in the crate all day long (door open or closed, doesn't matter) or do you play with her and let her be a puppy, etc?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I don't think the term "testing" really describes what's happening although, from your point of view it might look like it.

Think of it like this: a dog will decide what to do next based on what appears to be the most interesting thing in her environment at the time. Through training you make compliance with your commands more rewarding than, say, running away. Training takes time and patience, and as good as she is right now, her training is far from complete.

At 3 months of age, she has yet to go through what I like to call "the rebellious teenager" phase. Give it a couple-three months, you'll see what I mean. ;)

·
Banned
241 Posts
I have a puppy that I'm trying to house break. We got her older than we would have liked (she's 12 weeks) and I got her yesterday.
Lots of people prefer younger puppies...

Most times, Those people are making a big mistake that will cost them many hours of training to undo or 'fix' later...

Puppies really do learn a LOT from their parents and siblings when so young. Things like 'bite inhibition' are not so easy to teach for us humans - A 12 week old puppy raised around her parents/siblings is already going to have this figured out for the most part...

A dog bought at 12 weeks is going to be BETTER than a dog bought at 6 to 7 weeks for most people, most of the time...

Also, At just 12 weeks old and after only having her for one day - You should go easy on the dog and not expect a miracle overnight. Patience is a good thing...

:clap2:

You said it better than I could have... Completely agree with you here. :)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
It can take some dogs a couple of weeks to settle in. A 12 week old puppy is a BABY. You can't expect her to stay in her crate on her own at that age, or even understand what you want. Go slow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts