Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old german shepherd puppy. I recently about a week ago put her on royal canin puppy food. Today around noon, i was cooking chicken and dropped a piece of very hot chicken on the kitchen floor. Her being a puppy, she swooped in and ate the small piece of hot chicken. Within seconds she threw up the chicken, and all of the food she had eaten this morning! The food was all there, which means that she has not had a bowel movement at all today. I have not noticed any problems with her going to the bath room until then. All day she will go outside, Pee then walk around. She is not showing any signs of having to poo. So is this just constipation? and what are the fastest ways of curing? Please help

·
Registered
110 Posts
Has she gone to the bathroom since?
How fast did she eat the food? If she gobbled it down quickly, that can cause them to hurl it back up again, all undigested and all.
If she is constipated, perhaps a good run might do her some good. I've noticed my dogs like to run around a lot before they go potty.

If she doesn't go to the bathroom soon, I would make a visit to the vet.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
If she just threw up once I would not be concerned. Sometimes dogs just throw up every once in a while. If she throws up more, or she starts having any other symptoms (diarrhea, lethargy, refusing food, acting strange, etc.) then I'd start to worry. Also, one day without pooping is not really a big deal either. Just keep an eye on her and if she starts acting strangely then take her to the vet.

And just curious, how are you determining that she has not yet had a bowel movement? Are you just basing it on the fact that she threw up her breakfast? Or do you let her out to poop then let her back in, or take her on potty walks, so you know that she hasn't pooped at all?

BTW, because kibble is try, it expands in the stomach when it soaks up liquid. So there is a chance that she didn't throw up all of the food she had eaten. Also a dog can go more than one day without eating and that won't necessarily stop it from pooping, because there's still food in the system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She will go outside and go pee. But she will not attempt to Poo. She eats pretty quickly, but it was not any faster than normal.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think the hot chicken may have triggered something for her to throw up?

I know she has not had a bowel movement because i go outside with her every time i let her out. She is still a puppy, so i make sure she does not get into any trouble.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Maybe the hot chicken triggered it. It could have hurt her esophagus and that might have caused her to throw up. But it's not really uncommon for dogs to just randomly throw up every once in a while. However throwing up several times or over multiple days is not normal.

·
Registered
583 Posts
when my dog has thrown up for no apparent reason, and all his food has come up, he doesnt poop for a while, usually well after the next feed. i think this is because he hasnt digested anything as it all came up!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
extremely hot things will trigger a dog to throw up. The same thing happened to a dog of mine in the past. Dropped a very hot(too hot to touch) piece of meat and the dog gobbled it and within 5 seconds tossed it back up. Dog was fine.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
If you are concerned as to whether or not things are going in the right direction. Give her a bowl of canned food. The moist food will generally produce a BM in a short time after eating it. It has to be a large enough amount. I usually give my dogs a whole large can and then bring them outside. I will do this if I need a stool sample for the vet and don't feel like waiting several hours. They love the treat and it works great. At least that way you will know things are indeed moving in the right direction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts