Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I post on another forum about German Shepherds and I was told maybe a forum that has experience with toy breeds may be able to help me with some of my questions.

. I have a litter of 8 pups. They were all normal looking. When they were about 2 wks old, I noticed tiny one was still small. I thought she was the runt. Well, fast forward to 6 weeks of age and she's only 2 pds. Very tiny.

I took her to the vet b/c of her weight and dome shaped head. The vet said she had hydrocephalic. He told me all the pro's and con's ahead. He did recommend putting her to sleep as one option.

We have pretty much decided to keep her until her medical diagnosis is worse...if it gets worse. Anyway on the other forum, everybody has been helping me research this condition. From everything we've read, it mostly affects small breeds. We haven't found anywhere where it has affected a German Shepherd. Didn't know if any of you have heard of it.

So I guess I have two questions....any advice on what I am looking at in the future with this tiny one?

And the second question.......I have told all the family that were getting pups from me about this condition that affected the one pup. I know two families called my vet and he talked to them. I did have one family pull out of the deal.

Do the breeders on here tell potential buyers about the one affected pup?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
We had a litter of four husky puppies come into the vet clinic I work at. The woman who brought them in took them off the "breeder." It was pitiful. She and her daughter tried their best to save them but by the time they had reached eight weeks they could not walk, eat, play, etc. They only laid and wimpered all day. She decided to put all of them down. It was the most compassoniate thing to do for them. One of the worst days at work ever. Good luck to you. You and your puppy are traveling a very hard road.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts