Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help me. I have two major issues, or I see them as major, and I'm about to give up on them.

We have two dogs, male and female, the female we had first. She's a year old, shitzu-chihuahua mix, and sweet as can be. My male is 5 months old, a pure-bred Australian Shepherd, we've had him since he was 8 weeks, and he's sweet as can be.

My problem is that when these two get together, I "believe" he sees it as playing, but he will run full speed and tackle her. Then when she tries to run the other way, he'll do it again. He sometimes will grab the back of her neck, which really ticks her off. She can't live her life without always wondering if she'll be taken out! I'm afraid that he's going to really hurt her.

I've had a 20' leash on him in the house, and he's figured out that when he has that on, he's going to get pulled, so he's okay with that on, but it's not the answer. I need some real help with this.

The other problem that I have is he doesn't mind peeing in his crate at all. The crate is adjustable for size, so I've made it smaller, but after figuring out he doesn't mind rolling around in it, I've made it bigger.

All, I'm about to give up and find him another home. Someone that can take him, where he would be an only dog on a lot of land. I can't put up with many years of this.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
johnb;472682]I hope someone can help me. I have two major issues, or I see them as major, and I'm about to give up on them.

We have two dogs, male and female, the female we had first. She's a year old, shitzu-chihuahua mix, and sweet as can be. My male is 5 months old, a pure-bred Australian Shepherd, we've had him since he was 8 weeks, and he's sweet as can be.

My problem is that when these two get together, I "believe" he sees it as playing, but he will run full speed and tackle her. Then when she tries to run the other way, he'll do it again. He sometimes will grab the back of her neck, which really ticks her off. She can't live her life without always wondering if she'll be taken out! I'm afraid that he's going to really hurt her.
This is perfectly normal behavior. Your 5-mo. old is a baby who is full of himself, and rowdy, as puppies will be. He's playing, and will eventually calm down and learn to be more gentle. It's your job to intervene by redirecting him, but not making a big fuss, or scolding him. I have a 5-mo. old Standard Poodle who races at, jumps, and grabs the necks (and ears, legs, tails) of my two adult Standard Poodles, who are big enough, unlike your little female, to put the puppy in her place. And they do. My male is a little rough, so I watch that carefully. In a word, supervision. When you cannot directly supervise, then contain the puppy (the 5-mo. old male) behind baby gates, or in his crate. And start working on manners. It wouldn't hurt to implement NILIF into daily life immediately. An obedience class would be good for both of you; it will deepen your bond, and you'll both learn to communicate with each other.

How much daily exercise does he get?

What do you do to provide him with mental stimulation?

What have you done/are you doing for socialization?

He needs to have his brain engaged. It will help a lot, along with sufficient exercise. A bored and underexercised/undersocialized puppy is trouble!

The other problem that I have is he doesn't mind peeing in his crate at all. The crate is adjustable for size, so I've made it smaller, but after figuring out he doesn't mind rolling around in it, I've made it bigger.
Then you need to go back to housetraining 101, and take him out on a regular basis - after a nap, after play, after eating, and every 2-3 hours. Take up his water bowl around 7:00pm, so that he doesn't have to go as frequently during the night. How much time is spent in his crate?

All, I'm about to give up and find him another home. Someone that can take him, where he would be an only dog on a lot of land. I can't put up with many years of this.
I can understand your feelings. Remind yourself that he's a baby, and baby's need to be taught to do what you want them to do in a way that they understand. If he's not getting it, then you need to revise what you have been doing, so that he does understand. This isn't about him needing to be an only dog; it's about you being consistent and persistent, and above all, patient while you train him. Dogs, like children, are not disposable just because they're not "easy."

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
This is perfectly normal behavior. Your 5-mo. old is a baby who is full of himself, and rowdy, as puppies will be. He's playing, and will eventually calm down and learn to be more gentle. It's your job to intervene by redirecting him, but not making a big fuss, or scolding him. I have a 5-mo. old Standard Poodle who races at, jumps, and grabs the necks (and ears, legs, tails) of my two adult Standard Poodles, who are big enough, unlike your little female, to put the puppy in her place. And they do. My male is a little rough, so I watch that carefully. In a word, supervision. When you cannot directly supervise, then contain the puppy (the 5-mo. old male) behind baby gates, or in his crate. And start working on manners. It wouldn't hurt to implement NILIF into daily life immediately. An obedience class would be good for both of you; it will deepen your bond, and you'll both learn to communicate with each other.

How much daily exercise does he get?

What do you do to provide him with mental stimulation?

What have you done/are you doing for socialization?

He needs to have his brain engaged. It will help a lot, along with sufficient exercise. A bored and underexercised/undersocialized puppy is trouble!

Then you need to go back to housetraining 101, and take him out on a regular basis - after a nap, after play, after eating, and every 2-3 hours. Take up his water bowl around 7:00pm, so that he doesn't have to go as frequently during the night. How much time is spent in his crate?

I can understand your feelings. Remind yourself that he's a baby, and baby's need to be taught to do what you want them to do in a way that they understand. If he's not getting it, then you need to revise what you have been doing, so that he does understand. This isn't about him needing to be an only dog; it's about you being consistent and persistent, and above all, patient while you train him. Dogs, like children, are not disposable just because they're not "easy."
Great post....I agree 100%

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I agree with Poodleholic completely. I'd also recommend a vet visit to rule out anything such as a urinary tract infection which may be making it hard for your pup to "hold it." Also, are your dogs altered?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts