Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that we should always feed the very best we can afford to our dogs. With all the mess going on with Diamond it knocks out the 2 foods I was feeding my dogs. TOTW and 4Health. I pay $18.99 for 18lbs of 4Health and $23.99 for 15lbs of TOTW. Can any give me some suggestions to try that may be in that price range?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Earthborn is grain free and isn't as cheap as TOTW, but not as expensive as some others. Google it to find a store locator, then call and see how much it is. I haven't used it in awhile, so I don't remember how much it costs.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Personally, I don't plan to change what I feed my dogs. Salmonella isn't a big deal for them and I doubt that every batch is contaminated (and they've recalled the ones that are proven to have Salmonella).

But if you want to switch to something in the same price range:

Whole Earth Farms (by Merrick) is about a dollar a pound. If you can find a place that sells it.

Canidae. Although I think it's made in Diamond plants. Might not be what you want.

Blue Buffalo is the same price as TOTW at Tractor Supply. Costs a bit more at the big-box pet stores.

Does Diamond make Professional as well? It's about the same price and quality as 4Health.

I'll poke around and see if I can find some more.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess you can say that Diamond keeps having issue after issue. While I fully understand not every bag is going to be bad. I do have my daughter to consider because she does help feed the dogs. And truthfully after they did all that bragging about how they did this and that and that they would never have an issue again I'm just a little done with them. I like Merrick foods and have fed them before a long time ago so I will check it. Earth born I can get from 1 store and 28lbs is 48 and some change. I thought about BB Wildreness. Never heard of Professional

·
Registered
334 Posts
Diamond has really made it tough on folks wanting to change. They make a lot of foods that I would've happily recommended a month ago...but not right now. (Canidae, Solid Gold, CS, etc).

Fromm Gold runs about $25 or so for the 15 lb bag. (I usually buy 30 lbs and it was around $45 for the Gold--but I used to use the 4 Star line which was more like $53).

Then you always have something like Eukanuba or Pro Plan. I know a lot don't like them, but I'm not opposed to them and have good results with the Eukanuba. (Better in fact, than some of the higher end foods). I just paid $37.99 for 40 lbs (on sale) before taxes--but that is the big bag.

I have heard good things about Nutrisource, but have not personally used it and cannot get it in my city--so didn't investigate further. Oh and Precise, I think it is...but do not know the cost on it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Precise is a 3 star food, I really didn't want to go that low :( This dog food issue just bites.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Here's Professional's website. . .they have a store locator: http://www.professionalpetfood.com/

I don't remember exactly how much it costs but I think it's about the same as Chicken Soup at the store I go to the most. And the quality is similar.

ETA: I see it's 3-star, too. But they don't explain why. And they don't have a review for 4Health, so I can't see how they'd rate it. But, reading the ingredients, I do think that it's similar to 4Health.

If you want 4 star +, the only ones I think might be in that price range are Blue Buffalo, Avoderm, or By Nature. Or maybe Premium Edge? It's 4 stars: http://www.premiumedgepetfood.com/

·
Registered
165 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts