Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is somewhat serious for me, and a little personal, but I need some more advice, then just that of my strongly-opinionated mother. lol!

When I was 16 years old, my step-mother got an Old Navy credit-card in my name, virtually without my consent. (Once "I was approved", she kept the card because the limit was too high.) (I was promised they would give me the card whenever I went off to college.) (Which I haven't done, but I did move away to KY, did they send it to me? NO!)

However, over the years I've somewhat forgot about it, I know she shops at Old Navy a lot, and I always figured she was paying for it or had it closed. It was after-all, in my name!

Well... I recently applied for an Amazon credit-card and received a letter informing me I was declined. The reason was not due to my insufficient credit history, which should have been the only reason... It was due to my credit report reflects charge off(s) or bad debt collection(s).

I was speechless! I'm 20 years old and have yet to apply for a credit card, until the other day, my vehicle is my name but was paid for in full, as for my cell phone- that's in my mother's name. I should have no credit instead of bad credit!

I instantly knew what it was... How could I have been so naive and stupid?

I went to FreeCreditReport.com and found 3 things! (In 2007, I just turned 18, I fell and shattered my ankle to the point I needed reconstructive surgery. I was under my father's insurance and it was a given that he was going to pay for my medical bills.) Did he? NO! Last year they put in a claim that I owe them $394!! I am so livid.

Over the last two years my relationship with my father and step-mother has deteriorated. The feelings I have towards them are better left unsaid for personal reasons...

They failed to pay the credit-card in my name, so in-turn the credit-company closed the account themselves leaving it to stain my credit-report! Furthermore, he didn't pay some of the bills from my ankle so they've come after me!

To cut this shorter I have disputed all three of the claims and hope to get this cleared off my record. I have a fairly decent credit-score, but it would be great if these three blemishes were cleared.

I want one of two things to happen: Either I want the credit-card claim to be cleared from my report, or I want to press charges against my step-mother... (Both her and my father are to blame for many things, and have caused me a lot of grief the last few years.) If they were going to leave the medical bills to be paid by me, THEY COULD HAVE TOLD ME!

What would everyone else do in my situation??

·
Registered
630 Posts
I honestly didnt know that a sixteen year old could get a credit card. You should look into that. I cant really tell you what to do as Im not sure what I would do. I would probably do what ever I had to to get the blemishes cleared. Then I would talk to my father and stepmom. I dont know what it would solve but I sure wouldnt beable to let it go and not call them out on it. Thats just me though. I hope you get everything all cleared up and figured out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're not supposed to get a credit-card! I'm can't remember, and I'm not sure how she managed to do it, but it's seriously illegal!

My mother contacted Old Navy's hot-line and explained what happened and the customer service rep. gave their support and were shocked to hear that something like this has happened.

They also gave me the address for a big bureau of some kind, I have to write them a letter explaining everything, and more than likely they'll clear the claims from my report... and they'll probably take legal actions against my step-mother.

She's a fraud, big-time!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm pretty sure with delinquent medical expenses, or any medical expenses for that matter, a bill (or several) is sent regarding the expense way before it's turned over to collections.

So, under that assumption that would mean that your family should have been getting the medical bills and since they obviously weren't paying them they should have given them to you but it seems like they just disregarded them. (Now that's in assumption that bills were sent)

If that's the case, I'd be pretty pissed but I'm not sure what I would/could do.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Well, I am sure that people will think me nuts for saying this but I for one would like to see this woman pay for this crime, if all you said is true. If she did something like that to someone she was supposed to care about, who else is suffering from her? Credit card fraud ruins peoples lives. I think you should talk to a lawyer and ask them for a course of action. Most lawyers will have a free consult. Might be worth at least asking if it is worth pursuing. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I am sure that people will think me nuts for saying this but I for one would like to see this woman pay for this crime, if all you said is true. If she did something like that to someone she was supposed to care about, who else is suffering from her? Credit card fraud ruins peoples lives. I think you should talk to a lawyer and ask them for a course of action. Most lawyers will have a free consult. Might be worth at least asking if it is worth pursuing. Just my opinion.
You're not nuts, that's what I want and hope happens! She is a fraud of every kind and this just ads to the list. I'm supposed to be like a daughter to her and this is how she repays me?

I'm pretty sure with delinquent medical expenses, or any medical expenses for that matter, a bill (or several) is sent regarding the expense way before it's turned over to collections.

If that's the case, I'd be pretty pissed but I'm not sure what I would/could do.
That's what I assumed, I assumed my father was paying the bills because there is no doubt that he received bills through the mail he received them all because I found out personally that he wasn't paying any of them!

I'm very very upset and have decided to write them a well-thought-out list of complaints. A phone-call seems like a logical choice, but what I have to say needs to get said without interruption, without argument and without either party hanging up on the other.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I had an ex that did something similar to me... the only way i could clear it was to press charges. i never did but i wish i had.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What stinks is that it's family, but still... If I, their (step)child had done that to them, they would have pressed charges against me! *To teach me a lesson*, so why shouldn't I "return the favor" so to speak...

·
Registered
691 Posts
An ex did this to me too. With a new GF so it worked using a girl's name. They had a car, credit cards, she got a duplicate license in MY name, you name it. Found out when I got a notice from my credit card company saying they were raising my APR b/c of my bad credit.

I took pride in paying my bills on time, and usually in full. It was a nightmare!!! I had to file police reports in every town/city they used the cards in, get store security video on my own (with the help of a lawyer friend) and literally almost force the police to take action. This almost ruined my life.

Press charges. If they haven't learned their lesson by now, then sorry for them. This will have an impact on your entire future, esp. if you ever want to buy a home or make a significant purchase. If you talk to them they may apologize, but it's on your credit report NOW and even if it's paid off it is still a blemish that takes SEVEN years to come off. What will you be 27 then? Think about where you would like to be at 27, and just how hard it would be at that age to start your credit history all over again.

I'm sorry you went through this, and if I sound harsh at all. I've been there, and one of the best decisions I ever made was proceeding in the best interests of MYSELF. In the end, that's the only person you can count on.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An ex did this to me too. With a new GF so it worked using a girl's name. They had a car, credit cards, she got a duplicate license in MY name, you name it. Found out when I got a notice from my credit card company saying they were raising my APR b/c of my bad credit.

I took pride in paying my bills on time, and usually in full. It was a nightmare!!! I had to file police reports in every town/city they used the cards in, get store security video on my own (with the help of a lawyer friend) and literally almost force the police to take action. This almost ruined my life.

I'm sorry you went through this, and if I sound harsh at all. I've been there, and one of the best decisions I ever made was proceeding in the best interests of MYSELF. In the end, that's the only person you can count on.
Wow! I'm so sorry to hear you went through that! : ( That's terrible, and I'm thankful that my situation isn't as threatening as yours...

You didn't sound harsh at all... Like I said, if it was I that did this to my parents, they'd press charges to teach me a lesson wouldn't they? So I should only do the same.

I just can't believe that they did this to me, they had no regard for my credit! Instead of helping me build credit, they're helping destroy it!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I would sign whatever affidavit and press whatever charges I had to to get the Old Navy card off my credit report. I've never understood why a family member who has been wronged by another family member is supposed to be the one to buy the 'but they're family' argument. Uh....helloooooo...why didn't the wrongdoer choose not to screw over their own family member to begin with?!?! So, yeah...that reasoning doesn't fly far with me. What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong....familial ties don't change that. Appalling that a parent would do this to their child.

The hospital bill, you may want to contact the creditor and explain the situation (your father agreed to pay the bill) and see if you can negotiate to pay the bill if they remove the credit reporting (GET IT IN WRITING!!) There are several sites out there that will help you write that negotiation letter. I think you may be on the hook for that bill since you were 18....

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to press charges over the credit-card for sure.

As for the medical bills... If I have to pay for them myself, I will. I was after all 18... But that doesn't get my father off the hook!

I don't think I'll ever speak to either of them after what they've done. They've ruined our relationship with their lies, their drama, their actions and alcoholism... This is the straw that broke my back!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I'm going to press charges over the credit-card for sure.

As for the medical bills... If I have to pay for them myself, I will. I was after all 18... But that doesn't get my father off the hook!

I don't think I'll ever speak to either of them after what they've done. They've ruined our relationship with their lies, their drama, their actions and alcoholism... This is the straw that broke my back!

Just make sure you don't miss the opportunity to negotiate having the ding removed from your credit report. What a shame to have a bad tick on your credit over $400. Found a good link for you: http://www.creditinfocenter.com/debt/pay-for-delete.shtml

I'm glad you are getting all of this taken care of...though I come from the Dave Ramsey school of thought that credit is bad and cash is king! I can't wait to pay off our last credit card and tell all the cc companies to go to h-e-double-hockey-sticks!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
You probably don't need a lawyer. And I doubt you could take the creditor to court...legally you might be able to, but practically I doubt it would be worth it. I imagine the limit on the card was pretty small. What you can sue for is if they do not remove innacurate data from your credit report once you've taken all the necessary steps to prove the credit was fraudulantly obtained.

Basically, your step mother stole your identity when she applie for that credit card. Here's the FTC's site on how to recover from Identity Theft: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/consumers/defend.html

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Ahhhhh.......I work with this sort of situation every day :D....You would not believe the amount of people that have no idea about how credit works and or get defrauded by friends, family and strangers

1. Did you say you were under your fathers insurance?...if so I pretty sure that the bill should be under his name not yours.....were you on your own policy or a dependent on his?

2. You need to fill out a "forgery affidavit" with old navy...and advise them that you never agreed to this debt and want it removed from your name (which it looks like you have done)

3. You need to request a dispute with all 3 major credit bureaus....Experian, Trans union, and Equifax....please make copies of everything for your records...keep records of the dates and times you call and s/w anyone...get their names and if you can employee numbers.

Sorry its early here....I may think of some other things to do ...let me get some coffee in me :D

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
They used YOUR credit without YOUR permission, that is Identity theft, REPORT IT to the CC company (let them know you did NOT apply for the CC) and to law enforcement. I gaurantee you if my Ex had done this to my daughters, I would be all over him and his wife for ruining my credit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts