Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

I need advice

610 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Dog Tracks 
#1 ·
I recently fostered a miniature schnauzer, and she's very quiet, and not much of a barker. I haven't seen a mean bone in her body, and loves attention ( belly rubs, cuddling, etc). When I first got her, she was very shaky to noise as she wasn't use to cars, and any loud noises, as she was in the country. She's adjusted to that well, and doing better with her walks. I have a neighbour that I spend alot of time with, and she has a dog also (poodle), and I love that dog too, and they get along great. He is a nice dog, and usually a happy dog, but when I take both of them for a walk, everytime he sees other dogs, he has to be a bully and bark histarically, and he's moving around so much barking that he ends up bitting my dog by accident. Also when he's barking, he gets my dog going barking, etc. When I walk her alone, she's fine, and doesn't bark at them, she goes on her mary way. She's picking up his habbits, and frankly I don't like it. I don't want to ruin my friendship with the owner of the dog, so how do I deal with this without hurting her feelings? I don't want my dog to end up like that where she barks at other dogs and gets aggressive. What do I do?

#2 ·
Do you correct her dog and your dog when they start barking at passing dogs? If you are not doing so, then start training your dog not to follow suit, and start training her dog to pass other dogs politely. This will take time.
If you want an immediate solution, stop walking together. You just have to be honest. It's in your and your dog's best interest, and will make training easier for you.

#3 ·
If you lose this friend because you don't want your dog to pick up these bad habits, then she's not really your friend. It's going to be really hard to train these habits out of your dog and make it harder for her to get adopted if you don't keep her yourself. If I were you, I'd just explain to your friend that you love her and her dog, but you don't think it's in your dog's best interest to walk with her dog because of the difference in her behavior.

#5 ·
I think it is a very, very bad idea to walk them together. Period. Training him would be great, but you shouldn't be CREATING a problem in her to have to undo, and given that she's already fearful, you could be potentally setting her up to fail really badly.

#6 ·
Well when I do walk both of them, I do re-direct both of them, but it never changes as the owners let him do what he wants, and walk where he wants when they walk there dog. Like i said in my post, when she's alone with me, she walks fine, it's only when they walk together. I think i'm gonna have to have a talk with her, and let her know that I can't walk both dogs together anymore, as I don't want my dog to pick up his habits, and behaviours. I also think i'm gonna start taking the Dog Trainer's course and train her that way as I am not a pro with dogs, and want to learn. I don't want to loose my LuLuBelle, so willing to do what it takes. I guess i'll have to try to talk to my neighbour and let her know WHY I can't walk the dogs together anymore. They lack alot of training with there dog, and even HAND feed there dog as it won't eat by itself????? lol Anyhoooooooooooooooooooooo ;)
Thanks for the advice

#8 ·
I'd keep it on the positive with the neighbor. Considering all the things they can do together (play, etc), not being able to walk together isn't such a big thing. Who knows? Maybe your neighbor will say "yeah, I wish she didn't bark/lunge at other dogs while on walks."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.