Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
So a family member of mine lives near to me. I visit quite often and am frustrated with the way she handles her dog and training him.

So to let you know a little about the overall things that frustrate me. She coops up the poor dog in her laundry room all day, whether it is summer or wnter. Whenever i visit he is always in there. He has food and water and toys but all he does is just lay there, like he hates life. Another thing she does is when she takes him to go to the bathroom outside she keeps the dog on a leash and walks him and waits for him to go, then its right back inside, locked away. When the dog does get to go outside to run around, he cant, she puts him on the outside leash all the time he is outside alone. so he cant really run or play.

when i point out that what she is doing to her dog is not really good, she says its fine, and that she does it because its too hot outside so she doesnt want him running around and that he barks too much too when he is running around.

please let me know the negatives of keeping her dog like this, dont get me wrong she loves the animal and lets him inside at night, gets fed and love, im just worried about physical health.

thanks in advancee.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well my opinion on this is that it's WRONG to do this to your dog. A dog needs exercise, and to run and play. If she keeps him there all the time, he's gonna eventually be aggressive as he will have all this energy built up inside of him, and will take it out on someone eventually. The reason he barks is because he's full of energy, and not getting to run to release that energy. A dog needs at least 1-2 hours of walking, and they also need attention from other people, and dogs, and time to play. I don't believe in putting a dog in a room all day, it's not good for them, they get lonely too. I think you should tell your friend that if she doesn't do something about her dog soon, she will have problems in the long run. Does she have any kids? If yes, more of a reason to give the dog there exercise. I also believe that if you can't take the time to take your dog our for walks, or give them love and attention, then WHY have a dog? What she is doing is called NEGLECT, and that will bite her in the wrong way sooner or later. Have you thought of calling by-law and asking them if it's right? They would also tell you it's neglect. If you care about your friend, please try to do something for that poor dog ;( You are right about it being wrong........That dog needs help

·
Super Moderator
11,836 Posts
Like so many problems we read about here, this is more of a people problem than a dog problem.

Tell 'em what you think, but be prepared to be ignored or rebuked. Everybody always thinks they know their own dogs best.

·
Registered
17 Posts
could you offer to walk the dog?

If your ready to do it at least once a day,but seriously I would have a talk with her and tell her how it is.If its always to hot out or the dog will bark,those are
excuses;I think the dog needs an owner that cares.:mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts