Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Patrick, my 5 month old dog, is limping a bit on his back leg. And when he’s not limping he’s walking funny with it. This started 30 minutes ago (it’s now 8:28pm). I’ve rubbed down his leg a few times to see if it hurt when I touched in a certain place and he had no complaints.

I’ve never had a dog before and because tomorrow is Sunday our vet is closed and I would have to take him into the emergency vet who will cost more and I don’t want to do if unnecessary. I don’t want to be making a big deal out of nothing but like I said I’m a first time dog owner and I’m concerned. Please, if your dog has had a similar situation or you have any advise let me know.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Have you checked to make sure he hasn't torn a toenail? Nothing stuck between pads of feet?

If he is able to put weight on it but limps, I'd probably keep him quiet til Mon (no running/playing/jumping on furniture) and take him to the vet then if he is still limping. If he is 3 legged, then I'd take him to the ER vet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's paws and tonails look normal. But i didn't think to look at his nails before... thank you! I’m hoping by the morning he will be fine.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I would STRONGLY recommend keeping him off it - crate him or keep him tethered to you and don't let him run around. Some injuries that can present like that can be made MUCH worse with exercise.

·
Banned
572 Posts
See if you can give him a baby aspirin and keep him crated.

Is he still on Puppy Food? This really sounds like Pano to me. It comes on very suddenly and usually occurs around 7 months, but can be younger or older depending on the breed/size of the pup. There is not much to be done for Pano but wait it out, keep the dog very VERY lean and take off puppy food. If the food has a high calcium : phosphorous ratio or contains dicalcium phosphate it's more likely to cause an issue. So a bland, moderate protein, low fat/calorie feed is a must. Non steroid anti inflammatories such as Metacam are also very useful for treatment. Obviously, it could be something else, but with an onset so sudden, Pano definitely fits the bill.

I would give the dog aspirin and anti inflammatories for 24 hrs, and if the problem still persisted, then a Vet visit might be in order.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did switch his food a few weeks ago to Evo. It is high in protein and everyone told me to mix it into his normal food throughout a week, which is what I did, and he didn’t get sick or anything. It was a smooth transition.
He is Akita mixed with I believe Shepherd. 5 months 55 pounds.

He was just fixed a month ago and I still have his pain pills (they’re called Rimadyl) from the surgery, would it be the same to give him half of a pain pill as it would aspirin?

·
Banned
894 Posts
He was just fixed a month ago and I still have his pain pills (they’re called Rimadyl) from the surgery, would it be the same to give him half of a pain pill as it would aspirin?
No, you want to reduce inflammation more than pain. I little pain is a good thing if the leg is injured, both to help keep him off it and to let you know how it's doing.

EDIT: It seems Rimadyl is a NSAID and does reduce inflammation, but I would still stick to aspirin (10 mg/lb every 10 hours)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts