Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colby can be a bit of a b*tch when it comes to meeting other dogs on leash. She's never had an issue meeting dogs off-leash because she just ignores them. She doesn't discriminate on the basis of gender, though I've seen certain patterns of dogs she usually reacts negatively toward: she doesn't like most small dogs or almost any young dog she's ever met despite the fact that she's only 18 months old herself. She gets very alert and her haunches go up whenever she sees an overly-excited or poorly behaved dog lunging or acting a fool on their leash or jumping up on people. It's almost like she wants to correct their bad behavior. We've even nicknamed her "Warden." I know this sounds weird (and please chime in if you have another theory), but even in the house if I say "no!" to the cat or to Ace, she'll hurry over (very alert-with ears and tail up) and sometimes looks and whines at whoever is being scolded and other times she'll put her mouth on them.

So, we've been enrolled in obedience class now for several months and have been working with her relentlessly with meeting other dogs. Depending on how she and the other dog are acting, we'll sometimes let the dogs sniff each other while we're on our walk for 2-3 seconds and then happily say, "Okay, good girl! Let's go!" and carry on our walk. She's usually successful if we keep the meeting short and try not to create tension on the leash, which seems to make her a little nuts-o. Well, over the last few days she met two dogs, a 6ish? y/o male lab and an 11 y/o female golden and Colb was very friendly with both of them! Both dogs were older and calmer than most dogs we see, but I'm still feeling very good about the meetings! It's showing that we are making progress, even if it sometimes feels kinda slow.

I keep hearing that it's extremely important to socialize your dog with other dogs besides your own, but I wonder if that's completely necessary for all dogs. Colby just doesn't seem to care about other dogs if she's off leash and near them (besides Ace and my parents' dog, Cooper, who she will run around with). When she's off leash she wants to work (i.e. fetch--even if there is nothing around to fetch). She doesn't want to play. Is it enough for her to just play with Ace and Cooper? Do you really think she needs more dog friends?

All in all, it's pretty tough to socialize her with dogs outside of Ace, Cooper and obedience class (she's in the highest level of class and the only dogs are service dogs in training, so they're certainty not going to be playing with her). We've never had an incident and she's never bitten another dog, but I don't want her to go to doggy daycare because (especially right now) I like to supervise her interactions with other dogs and I feel like that supervision could be lacking at a daycare. Aside from going to the dog park, which are absolutely horrible around here, where the heck am I supposed to find friendly, balanced dogs for her to interact with? I don't have any friends who have dogs, either, so that's out.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Do you have neighbors who have well balanced dogs? What about family?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. One neighbor has a small poodle-thing and for whatever reason the only leash they have is one of those retractable flexi-leashes. Their dog is constantly on his hind legs at the end of his leash, growling and snapping, another neighbor has a boxer who Colby actually really likes, but they're afraid to let him off leash anywhere and I don't want them to rough-house inside. Another neighbor has a GSD that is horribly under-socialized and lunges at anything that moves (cars, people, dogs...). I guess I'm SOL, ha.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Is there a fenced in area around you that your neighbors would trust their boxer in? Boxers have some serious energy(my aunts is 7 and acts 2) so that would be a good play-mate for Colby. Have you asked your obed. instructor if she had a dog Colby could interact with? Not a 3 second hello but an hour of playing.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
It counts,lol. All my family members(except one,lol) has a dog and they are all together every weekend or every other weekend but it is still great socialization. There can be 7-10 dogs there at a time so they all have to know how to "share" there toys and get along.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, well that makes me feel a little better. Now that I think about it, we do go to my sister's friend's house and play with their dog occasionally, but for the most part Colby just ignores her. I just don't know how to get her interested in other dogs. Ugh, she's such a snob. lol

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Lol, tank isnt a "dog's dog" either. When we all meet up on the weekends he stays by me or wonders from person to person begging for food,lol. Him and 2 other dogs do that. We call them the "oldsters" group then we have the adults, teenagers and the baby's,haha.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
As long as your dog isn't going berserk on the end of a leash every time you see another dog, I wouldn't worry about it. Some dogs love other dogs, some dogs hate other dogs, some dogs don't care.

·
Registered
109 Posts
As long as your dog isn't going berserk on the end of a leash every time you see another dog, I wouldn't worry about it. Some dogs love other dogs, some dogs hate other dogs, some dogs don't care.
I agree.

I have three dogs. My female will never be what I call a "dog park" dog. She is fine around other dogs when we walk. She does fine with the other two boys in the house and with most fosters that come through. But she is not a fan of group dog play, she is more of a one on one and even then it depends on the dog.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Pete isn't really interested in other dogs either. He sniffs (often face to face which worries me a little) but he is quite submissive and very gentle. Often other dogs want to play but he just doesnt really care. People are what Pete really lives for. I dont think its a problem, as long as Colby's not being aggressive and can safely be exercised and walked then I don't think there is any law saying all dogs must love other dogs.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Pete isn't really interested in other dogs either. He sniffs (often face to face which worries me a little) but he is quite submissive and very gentle. Often other dogs want to play but he just doesnt really care. People are what Pete really lives for. I dont think its a problem, as long as Colby's not being aggressive and can safely be exercised and walked then I don't think there is any law saying all dogs must love other dogs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts