Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Im new here. I come with a ton of questions and seek any advice that may help my best friend, Einstien. He is a Golden Retreiver, he turns 6 years old Memorial weekend and weighs 84.5 lbs. Ive had him since he was 8 wks old. He is my LOVE and my LIFE! We just visted the vet on tues. because of a lump on his gums in his mouth. My vet told me it may be oral cancer,but she didnt say it could be anything else.She said she would run a test to see if his liver or kidneys had any damage to them. I didnt understand but now I do that I have looked on line and learned that a cancer called melanosarcoma spreads to those areas. By this point I was crying and it was hard to take anything else in. I asked as many questions as I could and tryed to remember everything, I called her today and the office was closed by the time I called. I know I maybe jumping the gun, But all of these unawsered questions are ripping though my mind, I cant even sleep and its so hard to go to work because of the thought that I my be looseing presious time with my best friend. Please if you can give me advise I'll take it.
-If his liver and kidneys already have damage should I go through with the surgrey and remove the lump from his gums? The lump is tiny and isnt affecting eating,drinking.ect.
-Has anyone experanced chemo, how much does it cost$
-Has anyone had there dog survive through cancer,what did you do,what should I know?
-Are there special foods, herbs, pills ,magic fountain I can buy?
- I heard of people removing part of there dogs jaw? Are they ok, Do you wish you would have not gone though with that?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Look into getting dog insurance before you get a diagnosis. It might be worth it.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Hello & welcome to df. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I don't know much about your questions. Many years ago a member of my obedience club had a lab with facial cancer. I think she was about 10-12 y/o. I don't think she had chemo. She was quite a happy dog & enjoyed her obedience until the end.
I hope the vet can give you some good news.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts