Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am going to be getting a puppy within the next couple months and i need name ideas! I am hoping to get a mix(at least part australian shepherd or part collie) I know the male name I would use (Leroy) but, im not sure if I get a female what her name would be.

So... Do you guys have any suggestions?

I like names that mean something in a different language. But, I do not like "human names" like lilly or sadie

But, the name doesnt have to mean something in a dif. language.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything but you say you don't like human names and you like names that mean something in a different language and you like Leroy? I don't get it. Or are you only talking about female names?

A coworker has a dog named Olive, and I loved that name so I told her I was going to steal the name if I got a dog. Then I did get a dog but he was a boy.... so Oliver came to mind. I looked in his face, and he LOOKS like an Oliver to me. So Oliver it was.

You might want to wait until you see the dog before settling on a name.

Also, if you get one in a shelter, they usually have been given names, but it does seem like most, or a lot, of people change them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not trying to start anything with anybody I was actually skeptical of putting that sentence in my post. It is my personal opinion that I do not like using human names for animals. Personally I do not think that Leroy is a human name. (or a common human name). And I didnt mean that I only wanted suggestions that meant something in another language... because if I did I obviously would not have chosen Leroy. Also, I get the idea of seeing the dog and naming it but personally I think Leroy would go with any male dog. Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions puppy_luv987! I like the name Dakota.. do you think that sounds just like a male name or possibly a female name too??

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
The horse farm down the way from where I live have an Aussie named Dakota ... lovely dog ... female. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Im like you, I really dont like human or food names ( for my animals personal choice )

Female

Luna
Roo ( or Rue )
Panda
Fawn
Aspen
Birdi
Eevee

·
Registered
47 Posts
Funny. I LOVE human names for dogs and cats. When I was a kid, every dog was named Lady and Trixie and Rover and Spot and Buddy and Rusty and Pal and names like that. I picked the name for the last cat I got from a web site with baby names. Went through them one by one, saw "Phoebe," looked at my little kitty and said, "Phoebe!" Different strokes and all that.

The most embarrassing name I ever gave a dog was Mandy. You're probably not old enough to remember, but "Mandy" was a very big Barry Manilow hit in 1974. Having met several women since then who were born in 1974/74 named Mandy, I don't feel too bad. Every one I've asked has said, "Yeah, my mother loved that song."

:)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I graduated high school in 1973 :) I remember names like Peepers, Lucky, King, Shep, Honz, Igore ... and yes Mandy ( I knew a Rough Collie named that)

I also thought of a couple names I used for dogs ... Banner; like in tall and proud ... Tobasco; like in hot and spicy attitude, not so much for food. I also like the name Skye; as in the wild blue yonder. I also like the name Stormy.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The right name will come but in the mean time look up & read all you can about mdr1 mutation, very important with the mixes you are considering.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I graduated high school in 1973 :) I remember names like Peepers, Lucky, King, Shep, Honz, Igore ... and yes Mandy ( I knew a Rough Collie named that)

I also thought of a couple names I used for dogs ... Banner; like in tall and proud ... Tobasco; like in hot and spicy attitude, not so much for food. I also like the name Skye; as in the wild blue yonder. I also like the name Stormy.
I remember Dusty and Smokey and Butterscotch, all descriptive of their coloring. Oh yeah, and a black dog named Pepper!

I love the name "Skye!" But now that I think about it, it's also a human name.

And now I can't get the song, "Bad, bad, Leroy Brown, baddest man in the whole *** town," out of my head! Oh well, better than "You came and you gave without taking...," I guess.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I forgot the name of a favorite neighbors female blonde BC mix ... "Snookey" Is that also human? Not sure.

Edit: How about names of States or planets or card games?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts