Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here today and need help desparatly. This is my situation and it deals with housbreaking and I am going crazy!!! This dog is 9 mos old will not learn. Please help. I need a miracle.

I have done everything possible that has been writtain on the net and I will have to go against when many say not to do and that is to smack her right on the butt under the tail with a newspaper. I had to do this with another dog I had and it worked. She was potty trained in no time. I wanted to train this one different. Believe me, this is not being mean to the dog. On the contrary, they need to be correected when they misbehave and messing on the floor is misbehaving when I have done everything that has been suggested to me on the net and take her out frequently.. She is almost a year old and this is ridiculous. I have had her in the kennel for three months straight except to potty hoping that she would learn and she isn't. She has even messed in her kennel. How ridiculous is that? That was suggested by an author who wrote a book on dog training. So much for that author's idea.

It has got worse in the last few weeks because a family member has been letting her run wild and mess whereever she wants to in the back yard and now she won't go for me on a leash. I am livid to say the least. I will have kids playing in the back yard in the summer and I will not deal with poop on their shoes so she must be put on a leash. If you are a parent,I think you can understand that.

Just today, I turn my back to do something upstairs and my kids let her out of the kennel and she poops on the floor. This is a few hours after I took her on a leash and she would not poop for me. Now do you see what I mean??? First time this has happened in a long time where my kids would let her out.. I was seeing red. I either use a newspaper or start giving her an enema after eating and take her outside right after until she finally gets the hint.

If you have any miracle to fixing a 9 mo old dog that I have had since she was a puppy, let me know.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Could you describe your dog a little more? The breed and so on? Just for more reference, because I've heard of several breeds being difficult to train because of their concentration or such.

In the mean time, I wish you patience, as it seems yours are wearing thin.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I thought that I would go ahead and add something; If I may speak for some of us here, that physically correcting your dog isn't necessarily the best method... However, that's just the general opinion... There are several other ways that are just as effect in the results that don't require the physical correction.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
This is a reprint of a post I did several years ago on another forum. Bandit my dog referenced in this post is now R I P.

Here ya go
Here is a re print of a a post I did a while back on house training a dog.
There are a number of methods of house training that work. But in my opinion the best, quickest and most effective is crate training.
Invariably there will be someone to make a comment that crate training is cruel or mean. But if so how come many or even most vets, professional dog trainers, many breeders, and rescue organizations highly reccomend crate training?
The trick is not to look at a crate through human eyes. Its not a cage. My dog Bandit sleeps at least a little in his crate every day. Yet the door has not been locked or shut in recent memory. Probably at least a year. And very seldom in the last 2 years.

Look at it through a dogs eyes.... ITS A DEN!
A crate is only to be used for training and safety. NEVER as a punishment.

The main reason it works is that dogs by nature are very clean animals. They will not willingly soil their den. It starts with the crate and with training and structure can and will be expanded to the rest of the house.

The dogs crate should be the right size. Too big and an untrained dog may soil one end and sleep on the other. The crate only needs to be big enough for the dog to enter and turn around in comfortably. Don't think your being nice or generous by buying the dog twice the crate it needs. Dogs feel comfortable and secure in confined spaces. If in doubt, take your dog to a pet supply store that sells crates. They can hook you up with the right size.

The key to this working is structure and routine. It takes a little dedication for a few days to a few weeks. But the rewards of not having a house that is regularly soiled are well worth it.

This is how it works.

In the beginning crate the dog anytime it is not going to be in your immediate presence. The dog goes from the crate directly outside to use the restroom. If the dog does not go to the bathroom it goes immediately back in the crate. Then try again later. Upon a successful trip outside, the dog can be allowed to roam the house. BUT.... Only under your supervision. Don't allow it to sneak away and have a mistake.

For example. Get up in the morning and take the dog from the crate immediately outside. Use a phrase like "lets go poddy" or I use "lets go pee". If you want, you can take the dog to one specific area of the yard that you prefer if to eliminate in. That way you are not picking up poops all over the yard.
When you get to where the dog is to go, tell it to poddy, pee, whatever. If the dog goes praise it!!!!! petting, verbal and a food treat. If after a few minutes it doesn't go, NEVER scold. Simply take it back inside. AND back in the crate.
If you feed the dog in the morning you can feed it before taking it outside. But then take it out IMMEDIATELY when it fiinishes eating. Again ALWAYS use the commands. Lets go pee and go pee. ALWAYS follow success with lavish praise. Remember if it doesn't go to the bathroom it goes right back in the crate. But if its recently been fed, don't wait too long before trying again. About 20 minutes or so.

If the dog does go when you are out, then it can remain free to roam the house for a while. But never out of your sight. If you leave, crate the dog. If you take a nap, crate the dog. If you are working on something and can't pay attention, crate the dog, Shower... crate the dog. etc etc etc... Anytime you can't keep an eye on it crate it. But remember, anytime your going to put the dog in its crate for more than a few minutes, take it out to "go pee" before you crate it. Upon letting the dog out, take it out to pee before you allow it ANY freedom to roam the house.

By using this method, you are accomplishing two things. You are rewarding success while taking away the chances for mistakes. You are also getting the dog in the habit of doing its business in one part of the yard.

Now lets say you came home from work, let the dog out of the crate, took him out and he did his business. So your relaxing and watching tv and the dog is free in the house. All of a sudden you see the dog acting like he is about to go to the bathroom. Sniffing for a spot, etc. Take him out immediately!!
Or your sitting there watching tv and the dog actually start to go. Don't scold the dog. But get up immediately and pick the dog up. Or if its too large to pick up, take it by the collar and quickly lead it outside to its pee/poop spot. Then give the command to "go pee" Again lavish praise is called for.

Some things to remember. Don't ask the dog to do more than its physically capable of. For a young puppy, it should be taken out every four hours minimun. Yes this means getting up in the night, and making plans for the work day. An older puppy 7-8 months should be capable of holding it for an 8 hour work day or an 8 hour night. A fully adult dog can go as much as 12 hours in a pinch. But less is better.
I know this sounds like a pain but if done consistantly its worth it.

Any dog can be house trained. Using this method takes from a couple of days to a few weeks. Most dogs should have it down in about 1 to 2 weeks. A clever dog may only take a couple of days. Once established you can relax and allow the dog more freedom. I never lock Bandit in his crate. It will become like second nature to the dog and something you seldom think about.

But remember, don't ask the dog to do more than its capable of. The dog cannot open the door, so you have to let it out. So its your responsibility to take make sure you come home to do this. You cannot expect the dog to hold it forever. So if you routinely are gone for over 12 hours the dog is going to have to go somewhere. This will break the training and create bad habits in the dog. But its not his fault. Its yours. So don't scold him for it. If you regularly get into situations where you are gone for over 10-12 hours at a time, plan for it. Have someone else come in and let the dog out. A pet sitting service, a neighbor, etc.

It does not take a miracle. Just some consistency.

·
Registered
129 Posts
has your dog been recently fixed or recently been in heat? these are factors that can hinder potty training and yes flustrating when the dog might have just seemed to have made progress, and those factors get dialed in and the dog can backslide.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
JohnnyBandit made a very good point, It doesn't take a miracle, just consistency...

How true! You can train your dog to do just about anything, capable; My Donatello amazes me sometimes... He can go close to 24 hours or more without pooping, that's under the toughest of weather conditions of course, because if I'm home that'd be just downright cruel... However, there are times where he'll go in the morning, but if it gets late and he won't wake up, I don't wake him... When I wake in the morning, he'll wait just a little longer, and then we go outside... Getting him to that point was putting him on a strict routine... It wasn't a miracle, just self-discipline.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes Johnnybandit, that is excellent instructions! I would add: Give your pup, and she still is a pup, her food in two meals. let her out of her crate in the morning for a walk outside emediately, and following Johnny's instructions for comands, If your pup has soiled in the crate before you get up.......try to get up the next day a bit earlier to get her outside. When she has done her business outside, then take her in and feed and water her. in the afternoon let her have a quiet time/nap in her kennell for an hour or two. Then take her out for her potty walk, after she's done her business bring her back in the house and feed her dinner. Try to make the meals the same time each day, regulating her system to elimiate(poop) at about the same time each day.
Consistency..........YES!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts