Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright so my sister owns a cojack. A cojack is a mix between a Jack Russel and Welsh Corgi. An odd mix may I add.

Now I taught him these tricks:

Sit
Roll over
Give paw
Talk
Lay
Keep treat on head (almost complete)

Now you may think, why, that's a well-mannered dog you got there, boy!

But oh is that far from the truth. He always barks at other dogs and if I ever let him loose, I'm certain I led him (hes a small dog) into the jaws of another dog.
What I usually do is just try to take his focus away by either picking him up and saying, with a deep tone, NO!
Now that works, however he will still growl and bark if he sees a dog through the cracks on my balcon. I tried spraying water on him but that doesn't bother him. When trying to give him a not-so-hard clap on the bum he mostly just stops barking, however only for a second.

I *HAVE* googled and yes, I know you can buy this collar-spray, however it's awfully expensive and I can't seem to find one here thats under 200$.

I'd like to say that HES NOT NEUTERED. Its my sisters dog and she says she can't afford it (she got a new job, so I'll tell her this week once she picks the dog up) however I wanna know, does neutering really help when it comes to stopping barking, growling and aggressive behavior at other dogs?

Thanks all. :D

EDIT:

Question: Is it OK to clap (or slap? that sounds rough though) a dog on the bum?
Question: Is it OK to lock a dog inside a room after hes done something bad (for about 10min)? (Will he learn anything from this?)
Question: Is it OK if I act alpha in my house and then my sister being alpha in her house? (this may confuse him)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Sounds like he is undersocialized. I would first of all, STOP picking him up when he barks at other dogs/people.

How much excersise does he get?
how old is he?

Lockig him in a room for 10mins wont teach him anything. IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, hes pretty unsocialized. When he was a puppy my sister just carried him around. Of course, like 85% of the cases, she didn't knwo you had to socialize your puppy.

He gets a looooot of excersise! (atleast here, maybe not so much at my sisters home)
Hes about 1 year old

1 - 3 of 3 Posts