Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From having Ginger here I have realized I really miss owning a rottweiler. I just love everything about them! Don't get me wrong I LOVE labs and will more than likely always have one but I wouldn't mind owning another rottweiler either. has anyone else had to switch breeds and while you love the breed you have currently wish you could also have the breed you had before?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I miss my Rough Collies ... but I know that at this moment in time they would not fit in with my current life style. I had ... if I count properly ... 15 of them. One was an abused one I found who had been shot. The others were my girl and her pups.

I just needed shorter haired dogs at this point in time. The small guys are much easier to groom when their hair gets long. Abbylynn is also piece of cake to groom.

Needless to say ... it would be IMO ... insane to have a Rough Collie trimmed like a Poodle or Schnauzer! Lol! :D

It is not to say that further down the road I may have another! .........

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I grew up with a Golden and a GSD and would LOVE to have either again *someday*. But I know that now is not the time. I also want to try so many other breeds out first. And then every time I think about getting a large breed dog, I remember how easy the little ones are.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I just miss having a herding breed in the house. I've never not had a herding breed dog until Trey passed away 3 years ago. I feel like there is something missing in the crew. I still tear up when I see shelties too and still go through phases of wanting another. I think I will have another but probably not next or even the dog after that one. They're such good dogs and I've had shelties longer than any other breed in my life.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My heart dog when I was a kid was a Siberian Husky. We were so close, we went everywhere together. We had acres of woods behind our house and her and I would explore and run for hours. She had such an amazing and keen personality. She was much more a companion then a pet.

Having a Siberian Husky right now just isn't feasible for us, we just don't have the property for one. I am always trying to talk my husband into moving to Alaska though, so maybe one day in the future it will happen. I would love to learn the art of dog sledding!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Most of the dogs I have owned have been mixed but of the purebreds I have owned, I truely miss my Pomeranians...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Being that I use to show,breed and own Dobies for about 15 years I do miss having one now.My situations have just not allowed for it with 2 rescues,1 giveaway(to us) and one now just purchased because my hubbys breed love. Why not have 2 dogs..ha..ha..your lab and your rottie!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being that I use to show,breed and own Dobies for about 15 years I do miss having one now.My situations have just not allowed for it with 2 rescues,1 giveaway(to us) and one now just purchased because my hubbys breed love. Why not have 2 dogs..ha..ha..your lab and your rottie!
I have three dogs right now! 2 labs and a mutt. Plus I am only 15 and it is harder to find a place for rent(or an apartment) that will let you have a rottie. After my labs pass maybe a few years after I graduate college and have time for another dog I will get a rottie,maybe if my life right then is acceptable for one.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
My heart will definitely break if I can't have a Rottie in my life. I have had the same breed for 34 years and the thought of being without this breed makes me sad. I did have a rescued Doberman once while I also had 3 Rotties and I can say, I have thought many times about getting another Dobe but... I tend to always want a Rottie more.

It has always sort of amazed me how some folks will get a different breed every time they get a new dog. Not that there is anything wrong with that but in my case, I feel I own the exact right breed for me and I have no need to try any other breed. At least, not yet.

·
Registered
596 Posts
When I was little little my dad had a Rotti named bear, I LOVED him!<3 He HATED cold weather He would not even go by the door when it was cold. One night I sleep walked out side, but could not leave gated yard because it was lock, in the middle of winter(FROZEN). The next morning around 4AM my dad heared him barking & came running out & I was asleep on the floor outside(IN WINTER) while bear was laying on top of me keeping me warm. Lets just say he got soooo many treats that day. For him to hate the cold, but to go out in the cold to keep me warm barking, means alot to me. I love him & really miss him!<3

~Erica~

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
You know ... Abbylynn is Dobie/Rott mixed. I have had Dobermans ... nice ones. (My first Dobie I bought from a good breeder ... even the vet was impressed ... and he was smart as a whip!)

Abbylynn is nothing like a Doberman except for the way she runs. Lol! But I have known Rottweilers ... and she is more like a Rottweiler. She grumbles and mumbles and never barks unless she thinks it is necessary. I love her. I could also see myself with a Rottweiler as well as a Rough Collie or Doberman. I just need "one" larger dog at a time in my world. Lol! The rest must remain small. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts