Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sobaka has been gone for two days and I miss her like crazy... She will be gone two weeks for training. I can't wait to see her again. I might call on Wednesday or Thursday to get a progress report. They encouraged me to, so I think I will. I will keep you up-to-date on that. So any way, because she will be gone for two weeks, I will post two things that I have missed since she's been gone. (There are a lot more than this)

1.Her wagging tail as she greets me in the morning.

2.Her sitting/laying, as I brush her, pet her, and tell her what a good dog she is.

I encourage you to post two things about your dog(s) that you would miss the most.

Corteo

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Ah, it's always hard to be away from our pets. I know whenever I'm gone for an extended length of time I start to miss Dakota's company, even if I happen to be around another dogs. It's just like being separated from another family member - you end up missing that security or routine of having them there, as well as the bond that the two of you share.

I hope the time goes by fast and I too would encourage you to call in for updates. Most trainers are more then happy to have an involved owner who is interested in how their dog is doing.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I can't even imagine ever sending a dog away for training but the one time I boarded one of my dogs I worried the entire time that she was missing me and I missed cuddling with her. Now mind, she was in an excellent kennel and was staying in the same run with her "Uncle Shimo" (my mother's Maltese) who absolutely adored her and, in a doggy sense of the word, spoiled her rotten.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I could never send my dogs away for training. I would miss everything about them, including our training sessions together. I'm curious what sort of training your dog will be getting in two weeks? And how and when will you learn what to do with her?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
pamperedpups said:
I could never send my dogs away for training. I would miss everything about them, including our training sessions together. I'm curious what sort of training your dog will be getting in two weeks? And how and when will you learn what to do with her?
She will be learning:

Sit
Down
Stay
Heel -with automatic sit
Come-with automatic sit in front
All the commands in motion.

She will also learn the hand signals for each. There will be at least four private one hour lessons with the trainer. They will do as many as needed. As well as a group setting time where they work on the dogs with distractions.

For my life style, this was just the best way to go. I am happy with the choice - even though I miss her. They have many great reviews and references.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
She will be learning:

Sit
Down
Stay
Heel -with automatic sit

She will also learn the hand singles for each. There will be at least four privet one hour lessons with the trainer. They will do as many as needed. As well as a group setting time where they work on the dogs with distractions.

For my life style, this was just the best way to go. I am happy with the choice - even though I miss her. They have many great reviews and references.
Wow, that sounds great. Even though you miss her, it looks like she is going to be very well trained when she returns! :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys,

Got to see Sobaka unexpectedly yesterday. I got a call from the trainer. She was concerned about Sobaka’s eye. Sobaka has entropion. When she gets tired, her eyes get red, especially her right eye. They must really be working her because her right eye proved bothersome. After seeing Sobaka, all was normal and we will keep her in training until the 14th. The vet doesn’t want to do anything about the entopion till she is a little older. The vet was worried about cutting too much away or not enough. For now, when they get red and irritated, the best thing to do is let her rest and they return to normal. Anyway, it was so fun getting to see her with her little tail wagging and her many kisses. It was even harder saying good-bye, but fun to see her know how to sit, stay and down. She is a lot less nippy (it has only been 3 days!) It was reassuring that she was willing to go back with the trainer - with only two glances over her shoulder at me. They are obviously treating her well! Keep up the good work, Sobaka! We will see you soon!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I took my doberman to obedience class, I think it lasted three weeks, this was thirty years ago, so thats why I say, "I think". He learned all the commands you stated plus he would heal by my side off leash. (but the training never really stops after class is over bare this in mind) The only thing that bothers me about the way you are going about it regardless of references, you are not there to see how hard they are pushing your dog and what methods they are using if your dog is stubborn. They have a time line to meet, and they may have measures they take if things are not going fast enough. When you get your dog back see if his or her temperament has changed any. She may perform all the commands but you still want the same loving happy dog back as well. But your dog should be her old self again after she has been back for a while. I just do not like some of the methods trainers use to get there point accross, I like to be the one to do that part because I know I will not over do it! Sorry for making this post, not ment to make you feel bad, once it is behind you all should be back to normal with the improvements added!!:)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bob, I do agree with your concerns. I was pleased that Sobaka did act like herself when I saw her and was happy going back with the trainer - no hesitation. We are looking forward to the added improvements and will be glad when the training is over. I wish I could have done all this myself - but my lifestyle couldn't manage it right now. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Bob, I do agree with your concerns. I was pleased that Sobaka did act like herself when I saw her and was happy going back with the trainer - no hesitation. We are looking forward to the added improvements and will be glad when the training is over. I wish I could have done all this myself - but my lifestyle couldn't manage it right now. Thanks for your thoughts.
Your lifestyle wouldn't manage it??...To me a dog IS a lifestyle!!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
She will be learning:

Sit
Down
Stay
Heel -with automatic sit

She will also learn the hand signals for each. There will be at least four private one hour lessons with the trainer. They will do as many as needed. As well as a group setting time where they work on the dogs with distractions.

Where did you take her ... it sounds almost exactly like where my little guys went

1 - 14 of 14 Posts