Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has a yeast infection in his ear. I just found this out from today's vet visit.

Anyways, two days ago, when I noticed something odd smelling from his ears, and before I could set up the vet visit, I tried a ear cleaning solution that's 50% alcohol and 50% white vinegar. The squeezed it into his ear with a soaked ball of toilet paper.

He HATED it. Now, when I try to administer the ear cleaner the vet prescribed, he fights me like mad. I've never seen him fight so hard before.

Was the alcohol solution too strong? Maybe it stung him?

The doctor didn't see any lacerations in his ear.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yes, alcohol stings like crazy unless you add boric acid (look up "blue power ear wash". Good stuff). At this point you'll have to really make it up to him and try to desensitize him to having stuff put in his ears in the future. But if the vet stuff stings, too, it won't be easy. Poor guy. Ear problems are no fun.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Owie. that would smart.

After you get the ear infection under control, try Vet Solutions. My dogs are pretty good size, so we just tear paper towels into inch and a half strips and soak them on a dinner plate.

Good luck, hope his ears heal up fast!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Warm any ear solution by running bottle under warm/hot water, and swirling bottle. Test temp on your wrist. If it is warmed, the dogs hardly notice it when it is applied. If it is cold, it is actually painful.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Biscuit hates having it squirted from the bottle, maybe bc of the temperature. The vet said we should saturate cotton balls/gauze with the solution and then squeeze/let it drip into the ear and let it sit/squish it around. Biscuit does seem to hate that slightly less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts