Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little bit of updated news since I have not really been on lately.

So I was talking to a friend of mine last week and she mentioned that her grandmother was moving out of the house and into an apartment soon. The problem is this is an apartment for the elderly so no dogs are allowed unless they are service dogs. My friend just had a baby and already has a dog of her own. She told me she just could not care for her grandmothers 3 dog with everything she is having to do right now.

So now she has 1 Chow Chow, 1 Mixed breed, and 1 3 legged around 1-2 year old Mixed breed that she is going to have to send to the pound if she does not find homes for them by January.

As most of you know I have been thinking about getting another dog (a Borzoi) in mid 2012 - early 2013. I have met all 3 of these dogs multiple times before and I love them all. It kills me to think that they might be put down or be in a cage for a long time before being adopted. So I have been talking it over with my family and I might be able to take one of them in. :) :whoo::bounce:

I just wanted to share the news!

Also if any of you have any tips on how to re-house break a 1-2 year old dog I would love your advice.

I will upload photos and information on all of the dogs later tonight after work if I have the time.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
YOu would re house break the same way you'd house break in the first place. Get the dog on scheduled feedings, take out after eating, napping and playing and reward heavily for relieving themselves in the appropriate place. You also want to tether the dog to you so it doesn't have any accidents and have the dog contained when you can't watch it. Best of luck if you decide to take the dog on.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope you are able to take one of them in and I wish you luck. :)
Thanks! :) I am hoping I can take in the 3 legged dog because I feel she will have the hardest time finding a new home.
Not only because she has 3 legs but because she is not house trained and VERY hyper (she jumps on people non-stop and play bites HARD).

YOu would re house break the same way you'd house break in the first place. Get the dog on scheduled feedings, take out after eating, napping and playing and reward heavily for relieving themselves in the appropriate place. You also want to tether the dog to you so it doesn't have any accidents and have the dog contained when you can't watch it. Best of luck if you decide to take the dog on.
Thanks for the advice. :)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have been reading up on how to care for a 3 legged dog and I have come accross a few tips.
Such as:
  • Not to let them on the furniture because it could hurt them to get down.
  • Checking the pads of the feet every night to make sure they are not cut up.
  • Keep them Slim so as not to put too much weight on the joints
  • Watch out for Elbow Hygroma
  • Get raised water and food bowls
Can anyone think of anything else? (I will continue to do research)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Photo of Lassie the 3 legged dog.

Photos were taken with a cell phone sorry guys.

EDIT: I am not sure why they are showing up like this. :(

EDIT: I will try to get more photos later today. From what you can see right now does anyone have any breed guesses?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think I have gotten the photos to work right. :clap2: Sorry the photos are not that great the owner took them and sent them to me from her cell phone.

I would love to see everyones breed guesses!

You can see that she is missing her left back leg in this photo

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
That dog is adorable.....I am guessing some GSD and ? Never-the-less, I hope she is going to be yours. :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Well the shape of the face suggests hound to me, like a coon hound or really more like a fox hound with those ears.

Two three-legged dogs frequent the dog park near me, the one with a missing front leg can run with the best of them, the other with back leg missing, seems to slow her down a bit, but she gets in there and mixes it up though.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That dog is adorable.....I am guessing some GSD and ? Never-the-less, I hope she is going to be yours. :)
That's what I was thinking GSD Mix. I hope so too. :)

Well the shape of the face suggests hound to me, like a coon hound or really more like a fox hound with those ears.

Two three-legged dogs frequent the dog park near me, the one with a missing front leg can run with the best of them, the other with back leg missing, seems to slow her down a bit, but she gets in there and mixes it up though.
Hound seems like a reasonable guess I hadn't even though of that. lol

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
She looks a lot like Christy...my dog in my sig. I think she's a Boxer/Geran Shep mix. She's a wonderful dog. Very devoted, always wants to be with me, and very sensitive. I've never yelled at her. Just asking her to do something works every time.

Your 3 legged dog has that same sweet look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts