Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
My in-laws spoil Mabel rotten! Even the mention of "Grammy and Papa's house" sends her into a tizzy. I've given up asking my father-in-law (old-world Italian) to stop giving her treats. Pepperoni, homemade sausage, blue cheese; heck, I don't eat THAT well.

While I disagree with your sister, I'd cut her a little slack. Sixteen is a little early to really understand love and affection (although most teenagers think they are experts at it :D). Don't argue with her about it; it's not worth it, especially since 16-year olds know Everything.

I predict your Mom is A Little Bit Right. When you have kids you won't love your dogs any less...you'll just love the kids more.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
if is sort of funny....

But I liked my horses and dogs so much.. and then my cats.. that I never had any reason to mess that up having children.

Cats and dogs and horses don't talk back, don't need to go to college, are cleaner and neater. While they don't take out the garbage, they would if they could go thru it first for goodies.

Take your dogs with you to family gatherings. When your sister (or anyone) starts to call you a freak etc. after you have heard it once, shut her down. Tell her you heard her the first time and CHANGE THE SUBJECT.

Practice this with your dogs or they will be absolute horrors with unwanted advice for your kids. You don't have to be confrontational.. you have to be firm and hard as this will be to do, leave how you FEEL out of it.

These are your dogs, and someday you will have kids, and no one needs to help with advice unless asked.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
LOL, if you're crazy, my husband and I are certifiably insane!

We refer to ourselves as "mom & dad" to Luna, our puppy. We even ask her questions and pretend like she's responding in a little Luna voice. We do the same with the cats. LOL!!!
Your not alone in this. lol My boyfriend and I do the same thing. They each even have their own unique voices too...I think that I need to get out more or something...lol ;) :D

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Phew, I feel sooo much better now :)

We probably won't bring them over for awhile...then after that I will talk to hubby about it and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Your not alone in this. lol My boyfriend and I do the same thing. They each even have their own unique voices too...I think that I need to get out more or something...lol ;) :D
ACK! We do this, too. Sometimes I'm like...is this weird? Thank goodness no one is listening in. But we get a kick out of it and have the greatest "conversations" with our pets this way.

My family is full of crazy pet people. Every time someone adopts a new pet, my grandmother actually makes them a little Christmas stocking to hang on the wall above the fireplace. So obviously we never get grief about the pets. The funny thing is for the longest time we just had 2 cats and even though no one in my family asked us when we were going to have children - they DID ask us when we were going to get a dog. Ha! Oh, and we still don't - and won't - have people-children.

My in-laws are different as most of them are not big into pets. But my FIL still gets a kick out of Ranger and he's allowed - no, encouraged - to come visit when we do.

To me, people who don't understand the unique bond between people and pets are the weird ones.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How annoying that must have been. I'm sorry about your bad experience.

I must say though- at 16 years old, your sister doesn't know who she is yet. her hormones are going crazy, and she likely says things she'll be embarrassed about in a few years. I just think back to when I was 16... I know I said and had opinions on things that I think is simply rediculous now. I do, however, remember how strong those unfounded opinions were at the time, and at that age, you could not have talked sense into me no matter how hard you tried. In your sister's mind, she's right. Try reminding her about that day when she's...say... 20 or so, and see if she's changed her tune ;) ...then again when she's 30 ;)

With that said, I know issues with family can be extremely hard. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sorry that happened to you! When it comes from family, it has to hurt in some form or another no matter how right you know you are.

I have an 11 year old daughter, and was never really a big dog person. Then we adopted Chloe and I truly think of her as my other child. I can't explain it, I just have a love for her that is unconditional. I don't tell people this much, as when I did in the past I got the weirdest looks ("She's a DOG!").

So, I know where you're coming from.

Just do you, and keep loving your pups. Life is too short not to!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts